Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Just seen this tweet.....

If there is a global shortage of flight crew, and they're infuriated, surely they'll just move to a job where the conditions are better and Ryanair will be left with no-one to fly its aircraft.....

... or is there more to it that this?
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's not an unusual manoeuvre. By way of example, in recent times, Air Malta created a new entity under a separate AOC for the purposes of circumventing some really hard-nosed pay and terms negotiations by unions representing pilots and cabin crew. It also allowed some creative play with their LHR slots.
Couldn't the pilots at the original entity enter into dispute and take industrial action of some form or another?

I know with Ryanair it would be quite a challenge since not all bases are fully unionised and there's still quite a few contractors but with the rest it would presumably be a bit more simple?
By Flyin'Dutch'
It was my understanding that RYR has had to accept unionisation to a certain extent as there was such a shortage already that they could not reign over their pilots as before.

A new 'unit' will not change that equation.

I think they need to move with the times or they will do down the pan. Used to be a very loyal customer but since last summer rather pay a few quid more than be the subject of their now very unreliable service.
Lockhaven liked this
Horses for courses I guess.

As regards Ryanair pilots (I don't know about other flight crew) my understanding is that they get paid very well.

As regards being a passenger, I've not had any reason to complain more than from other airlines. At least the aircraft are new.
By PeteSpencer
Rob L wrote:Horses for courses I guess.

As regards Ryanair pilots (I don't know about other flight crew) my understanding is that they get paid very well.

As regards being a passenger, I've not had any reason to complain more than from other airlines. At least the aircraft are new.

I guess I haven't flown Ryanair very much, but have never had more than an hour's delay or last minute change of boarding gate. Once underway all was well:

Top tip re ageing aircraft: Have a quick look at the door seals as you board: It can be a real eye-opener.....

Peter :roll:
I have no issues with Ryanair crews, their aircraft, their safety record, past experience when I did occasionally fly with them and such like. I got what I paid for.

I currently do have an issue with their disingenuous CEO and his comments towards my former employer and profession so I take the only action I can, not flying with them for at least as long as their current CEO is around, even if it costs me more.
Let’s not let prejudice get in the way of facts!!
Ryanair have younger aircraft overall than BA shorthaul. The pilots have the same high Training standards. Their pay is better than BA SH pilots of same seniority.
Their safety record is second to none, especially taking into account multiple daily ops to ‘secondary airports’ without the ATC and landing Aids of say Stansted and Heathrow.
I recently picked up a light aircraft from Hahn, BA to Frankfurt £170. Ryanair €70, unlike some I’m not made of money!!
Last edited by Oldfart on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By avtur3
At the end of the day regardless of any objections "most" people are more loyal to their wallets than anything else, as long as that is the case RYR won't have any problems.

There are plenty of folks, I include myself in this, who have a particular "beef" with the leprechaun CEO and his unpleasant ways. However for a large number of people RYR offer fairly punctual service in nearly new aircraft at fairly good prices (watch for the small print) and as long as that is the case people will keep buying tickets from him.
Rob L liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:Top tip re ageing aircraft: Have a quick look at the door seals as you board: It can be a real eye-opener.....

Peter :roll:

Errmmm Pete . Sorry mate but that's garbage... :D

Door pressure seals will tell you when they need replacing . They 'whistle out' and give the engineers a clue. In more extreme cases could give an even more subtle clue , via cabin alt. and diff/px indications .

Do you mean the grey coloured door pressure seals ? Or the creamy coloured draught excluders.

In either case , it's no more of an indication of aircraft age than the wear on the tyres ... :D