Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By UpThere
Something would have to impact me in a fairly major way, before I'd drive 20 miles to the airport when my aircraft's not there. Anyway, it may be the combination of equipment in the cockpit which is causing it.

Seriously folks, all I need to know is if anybody else has experienced the problem.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Why do you need to drive to the airport?

Does it still happen if you plan, then leave iPad alone for 20 mins before pressing Go Flying?

Does it still happen if you plan, then drive iPad somewhere you're going anyway before pressing Go Flying?
No...I haven't had the problem.
However I think it is the way you are using it and not a problem with anything!
Why do you want to leave the Ipad and SD running after you have planned the route at home? Most folks I think would shut it down and then reboot when they are ready to fly at the airfield.
I suspect if you press 'Go Flying' when you are still at home when your start point (airfield) is 20miles away the App and possibly the GPS is getting confused by the time you get to the airfield.

Just my theory anyway...
By Rob P
Is this a case of iPad reliance?

My (Android) tablet does nothing except aviation. It doesn't have emails, photos and work stuff on it.

But if the OP is using his everyday device for flying as an afterthought he may want to keep it running so as not to miss something?

Just guessing.

Rob P
By GrahamB
I have two iPads which I use for a variety of purposes, all the time, although essentially one is only really used for SD and other flying purposes and the other is an SD backup and used for all my everyday stuff as well.

I leave SD running all the time (not in 'Go Flying' mode, obviously) on both and have never seen this issue, whether used with the native GNSS receiver or connected to a PilotAware device.
PaulB, Rob P, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PaulB
GrahamB wrote:I have two iPads which I use for a variety of purposes, all the time, although essentially one is only really used for SD and other flying purposes and the other is an SD backup and used for all my everyday stuff as well.

I leave SD running all the time (not in 'Go Flying' mode, obviously) on both and have never seen this issue, whether used with the native GNSS receiver or connected to a PilotAware device.

That almost completely mirrors my situation
I too don't transport the iPad in Go Flying mode, because that would be silly and flatten the battery. It's an iPad Pro 9.7" with built-in GPS, which works well with SkyDemon in every other context. Therefore, as mounted, it's picking up the satellite signals, but SD cannot find its current location in the circumstances stated at the start of this thread, until it's restarted.

And before anyone asks, I do know how to suck eggs! :?
By PaulB
... but 12/1 is current. Does the issue still persist on that?
By PaulSS
I'll try with some perfectly reasonable questions, which address the issue:

Why do you need to drive to the airport?

Does it still happen if you plan, then leave iPad alone for 20 mins before pressing Go Flying?

Does it still happen if you plan, then drive iPad somewhere you're going anyway before pressing Go Flying?
By patowalker
PaulB wrote:... but 12/1 is current. Does the issue still persist on that?

No. Some users reverted to the previous release, others didn't update until 12.1 was released. Those who don't know how to suck eggs use Android kit. :)