Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
rats404 wrote:If you want a real German restaurant, try Gaffel Am Dom just across from the Cathedral. But you won't be short of options for food and drink.

Hah, I've eaten there. :D

Yes, you'll hear a lot of British voices around the Aachen markets as all the coach tours go there.

If you do go to Cologne (recommended), do take in my previous suggestion of also doing Siegburg, it's only a short trip away on the S-bahn.

Just looked it up, 28 mins on the S-bahn, or 13 mins on the ICE. :D
rats404 liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
rats404 wrote:Aachen is nice, Dusseldorf is OK, but Cologne is terrific. We are heading back there for three days in a week or so. If you want a real German restaurant, try Gaffel Am Dom just across from the Cathedral. But you won't be short of options for food and drink.

If you want to get a table in the 'Gaffel am Dom' you need to book ages in advance, you won't get a table this side of Xmas unless you've already booked.

I was introduced to Gaffel in Berlin by Keef (He knew it from his Cologne days with Ford) so Gaffel = Keef for me.

Miss him.
rats404 liked this
By cornhilltc
Three alternatives are Rouen, Metz and Bad Wimpfen. The first two have airfields close by but for Bad Wimpfen you probably need to go to Stuttgart and hire a car. I will be going to one or more of these next week.
By TheFarmer
If you are happy with a £12.99 landing fee, you’re welcome to drop in at my Christmas Winter Wonderland.

You can meet Santa, have a glass of mulled wine and walk through a wooded area that has real imitation snow. I’ll even set up a Bluetooth speaker playing carols. It’s a lovely experience, and one that you’ll never forget.

:santa: :rendeer:

[Additional visitors £375 each, and a minimum handling fee of £400 applies. Conditions may vary and FarmerExperiences Ltd reserves the right to not have fake snow if Poundland stop stocking the cans of it. The mulled wine may contain nuts and Santa cannot be guaranteed to be particularly authentic., although he will say ‘Ho ho ho’ randomly.
Last edited by TheFarmer on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flyin'Dutch', dmarti32, Nick and 2 others liked this
By marioair
Thanks for all your advise to date. I’ll pass on the Uk destinations. I the cologne looks like a good shout.

And routing/planning advise from SE England?
By kanga
TheFarmer wrote:If you are happy with a £12.99 landing fee, you’re welcome to drop in at my Christmas Winter Wonderland.

You can meet Santa, .. It’s a lovely experience, and one that you’ll never forget.

:santa: :rendeer:

Just for completeness :roll: , Santa may also be discovered in the JAM Trident next weekend, and a 94 'bus from the museum can take you to Christmassy stalls in the centres of Gloucester or Cheltenham. Not quite up to Brugge standards, maybe, but fly-in visitors welcome as ever :)

By James Chan
Lubeck EDHL - Airport is 20 minutes drive from the market.

For something slightly larger there's Hamburg EDDH - Airport is 30 minutes from the market by train / car, although I'm not sure about the latest handling fees there.

If you're looking for something more local there's Hyde Park Winter Wonderland in London, but it'll take 70-90 minutes from whichever airport you choose to land at to get there, unless you can afford to put your helicopter down in Battersea in which case it's a 20 minute drive.
Last edited by James Chan on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.