Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I love your enthusiasm but .............

I didn't watch much of that as there was so much wrong from an instruction perspective. Build your hours, enjoy your flying. Enjoy taking passengers but please do not try to instruct them. When you have the hours, do the FI course and then, when you have the skills, by all means instruct. There is far more to instructing than having a pilot's licence and you can do more harm than good if you get it wrong - which you did in the short bit I watched.
Longfinal wrote:I love your enthusiasm but .............

He's right .
Build your hours , extend your types ,,,,,,,,,,and whatever you do a/g , don't lose your enthusiasm ... :thumright: ..

Also ,,,don't get too clever too quick . If your deskmate doesn't end up in a C42 , you might just be planting a whole bunch of wrong things into his head .

The great thing about the C.42 is that it is an extremely easy aeroplane to fly . Which , unfortunately , doesn't make it a very good trainer . Am I correct in thinking that there are still a few dH-82 Moth's [ or similar ] in your part of the world ?

Get a sign-off on one of them . Then get a few others interested .... :thumleft:

Trust me , I'm not belittling your achievements or your enthusiasm and I know you mean well .

Just remember that it's a licence to learn . And when you meet that guy who knows everything about aviation ................He's lying !... :D
The C42 isn't a good trainer because it is easy to fly.
Take more water with it Chris.
The ideal trainer is safe, easy to fly and easy to land. It is tough, economical to operate, comfortable and easy to teach on.
The C42 ticks all the boxes.
As a machine for gaining that licence to learn, it has few equals which is why it is such a popular trainer.
Tom old chap ,,very rare that I disagree with you mate, :D
Although I do still stand by my [self-acclaimed]words of wisdom .
tomshep wrote:The C42 isn't a good trainer because it is easy to fly.

I certainly wasn't implying that the Ikarus wasn't a good aeroplane . It's a bloody superb aircraft . You could pack your sandwiches/coffee chart/tablet and go off and fly the length/breadth of the country in great comfort . [and you couldn't do that in a Moth,, :D ,]
But if you learn to fly in a PA-28 for example , then progressing on to say, a Turbo Arrow or a Saratoga would be a fairly painless and logical progression .

Similarly ; If you got your PPL in a C.152 , then advancing on to a 172/182 , Centurion etc wouldn't come as too much of a culture shock either.

But if you trained in a C.42 , then going on to other types might just come as a bit of a surprise when you find that it doesn't leap into the air just seconds after applying full-power and keeping that ball centred requires a bit of hand/eye/foot co-ordination. Also on landing ,,if your aiming to get into a short strip , you'll need to plan using your resources very well because if you don't put it down right on the threshold , then you could end up becoming good friends with the hedge. None of this is particularly relevant in a C.42 .

Of course , if you learn in an Ikarus and then just continue your flying in one , then none of the above matters anyway .

I am trying to deploy my theory at the moment by teaching one of my grandsons to drive using his mum's L/R Defender. In the hope that he'll be completely unfazed when he jumps into anything else in future.

I'll probably be proved wrong there too.... :pale:
But if there were to be a Turbo C42 (or one with a 915, please,)it would be as similar as a turbo Arrow is to a PA28.
What I fly now is very different to a C42. I got there after three hours in an Escapade which was again very different. I was expecting it to be, 'cos it was built back to front! The MiniMax I fly now is different again, needing very gentle landing and dancing feet but learning on something "easy" (which it isn't to the beginner,) allowed me to learn well.
Two points:
- I thought astroguy is an instructor, or at least is in the process of learning to be one.
- the C42 is a good aeroplane for training schools to use, sure, but that's because it's easy to fly, reliable, very robust when thrown at the ground, and easy to fix when bent. Thats not the same as saying it's a good aeroplane to learn on. As Chris says, folk who learn in a C42 need a lot of help getting used to other aeroplanes that their NPPL(m) entitles them to fly. And what worries me then is that they end up believing that the sort of flying they do in the C42 is all there is - and get bored and drift away.
May be my mistake - he says it is his 6th passenger. Seems very few for someone on an FI course. If he is on a course, there is much to be done judging by the short clip I watched.

I have nothing against astroguy but I do want instructors to be of the highest quality. He doesn’t even ensure he gets a confirmation when he hands over control. It goes downhill from there.
lobstaboy liked this
Longfinal wrote:May be my mistake - he says it is his 6th passenger. Seems very few for someone on an FI course. If he is on a course, there is much to be done judging by the short clip I watched.

I have nothing against astroguy but I do want instructors to be of the highest quality. He doesn’t even ensure he gets a confirmation when he hands over control. It goes downhill from there.

Thanks folks
Right as I mentioned this was my first attempt at what it would be like to be a flight instructor and no I am not a flight instructor... In Canada you can teach ULPP at 50 hours in accordance with the Ministry of Transport Canada... I have 65 hours and don't figure I'll teach until I have twice the required hours.... I find it very difficult to switch to right hand flying with the hand controls being flipped with the central stick set up. Would be much easier in a Cessna dual yoke to switch over.
Different than most places in the world Canada classifies the C 42 as an advanced ultalight and follows the same training rules as if I were to teach flight on a Challenger Ultralight aircraft.
Yes I know that the hand off of control wasn't properly done in the first 3 control changes or so.... I was going to type this in as my own fault observation but I forgot to overlay it on the video. You are correct to pick on it as I would and as my flight instructor already pointed out......but for the remainder of control hand offs (except for when passenger is talking over the ATC) it was corrected by me off camera.... I didn't show that on camera of my blaming myself for this particular problem and fixing it in the first few minutes of my first pretend to be a flight instructor video.
Anyways.... I'm always up for critique and it's how I learn best... I post all my stuff... nothing cleaned up.... I'm sure many mistakes get made but don't get posted by people.... however....I really would like to know what else about this video that is incorrect.... like I said.... it's how I learn....
DaveP
kanga liked this
OK Dave. Very honest. I don't know how your instructor system works but I would recommend getting some formal instructor training. There is quite a lot that you need to work on but make sure you break each lesson down into the constiuent parts. Also make sure you give a thorough ground brief before trying to teach - a lot of what you were saying in the 7 mins I watched would have been covered in the brief and you should be reinforcing. You also should instruct by demonstrating (you fly and patter the perfect example with the student watching), teaching (doing the same with the student following you through on the controls), learning (student does it), and reviewing the performance. Then, if necessary go back through the cycle at the appropriate point or allow the student to continue to practice if they have 'got it'. There is more to it but a proper FI course would give you all you need.

Finally, and most importantly, there was no lookout before you did either the climbing or descending. Whether you are flying for fun or instructing (I know they're not mutually exclusive :wink: ) you must make the need for lookout paramount in both you and your passengers/students minds.

Good luck with it all and please keep the enthusiasm going.
astroguy

And also remember that this is an Internet forum and that any advice given behind a pseudonym could in fact be a 93 year old lady from Brindisi who’s just retired from mixing pizza dough.

Enjoy your flying. Your enthusiasm for aviation is far more important than another person’s uninvited opinion on your practice session for instructing. :thumleft:
plus7g liked this
TheFarmer wrote:astroguy

And also remember that this is an Internet forum and that any advice given behind a pseudonym could in fact be a 93 year old lady from Brindisi who’s just retired from mixing pizza dough.

Enjoy your flying. Your enthusiasm for aviation is far more important than another person’s uninvited opinion on your practice session for instructing. :thumleft:

Outed! The Farmer is in fact a 93 year old lady from Brindisi. So now we know..

To be fair there is no way I'm going to post videos of my lessons - you lot would rip them to shreds. A good instructor is in tune with his or her student's needs and ability. It's not possible to critique properly without good knowledge of the student.
cockney steve liked this