Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lots of things are on the charts but difficult to spot in real life - and vice versa; stick out like a sore thumb in real life but are not obvious on the chart.
Gaydon springs to mind. On the chart it's just another disused airfield, IRL it stands out... especially compared to disused airfields in one of the n/s folks, where airfields are as common as pig farms (which I swear I can small from 2000 feet!)
Greenham common is another one. Difficult to find a larger blot on the landscape anywhere.
Benington airstrip, on the other hand I've never been able to see, nor New Farm - North of MK.
Pershore, on the other hand, deserves to be put in bold as it is visible from far away.

As for PVA covered fields - the large ones often seem to be on disused airfields, no? Maybe the disused airfield symbol could be a different colour for 'PVA' compared to 'merely disused'?

I guess it just goes to show that there's ultimately no way to replace local knowledge, a memory for places and their surroundings and a decent sense of direction
Except GNSS of course.

Morten
By Sooty25
Gertie wrote:I was thinking perhaps of being (for wx reasons) kept down to 2,000' over Suffolk....

Kept down to 2,000ft? I rarely fly above 2,000ft! :lol:
By Gertie
Sooty25 wrote:
Gertie wrote:I was thinking perhaps of being (for wx reasons) kept down to 2,000' over Suffolk....

Kept down to 2,000ft? I rarely fly above 2,000ft! :lol:

Navigate by reading the pub signs??
By Sooty25
Actually, IFR (I Follow Roads) at certain times of the year when the strip blends in with the crops!

Too many pubs closing down to rely on their signs!
By kanga
Gertie wrote:.. Suffolk, where the "big picture" is "a maze of twisty little villages, all alike" :D

.. and lots of variably visible airfields, all similar, nearly all of them long disused, but a very few very busy .. :?
By Dominie
Dave W wrote:A solo wind turbine (such as the one not far from Bourne Park) is not on the chart or shown on SD. Interestingly, a solo one is so (relatively) unusual that it possibly could be a useful navigation pin-point!

When I flew from a strip near Huntingdon 15-20 years ago, the single wind turbine at the Woodgreen Animal Shelter (a few miles south east) was indeed an excellent landmark. Then they became popular and therefore became confusing and unreliable, a bit like water towers are!