Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
[quote="Straight Level"][quote="skydriller"][quote="harry remmington"]
On a former Soviet military airfield in Brand, just south of Berlin, the CargoLifter hangar has the distinction of being the world's largest single span structure.[b] Eight football pitches[/b] could be accommodated in its Brobdingnagian interior and the[b] Eiffel Tower [/b]easily stored on its side. At 363m long, 225m wide and 107m high it dwarfs the Goodyear Airdock hitherto thought to be the world's largest airship hangar..[/quote]

Now a holiday resort/leisure park:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/coqAJRX.jpg[/img][/quote]

and approximately 32,731 London double-decker buses :D[/quote]

What are the sunbeds for ? and why are there no queues ?
By kanga
Of course, it may help a developer to get a tipoff just before a building is Listed, especially on a long weekend leaving time to demolish it :roll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_Tyre_Factory
Blimey, December 2009 I posted about this, an absolute low point in my career. I had no idea that a few months later I would start on a run of three brilliant jobs leading to me flying from Cardington on the Airlander in November 2017.

More on topic, Cardington airfield is now far too small for us to operate at will plus the sheds are the wrong shape for Airlander.
Bobcro liked this
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jim Jones wrote:Apart from the obvious, what use could they be put to by a new owner?

I would have thought they would be good for a film company, you could do all sorts in there!
By Boxkite
foxmoth wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:Apart from the obvious, what use could they be put to by a new owner?

I would have thought they would be good for a film company, you could do all sorts in there!

People need to read the BBC article...

The building, which is leased to filmmakers Warner Bros, and surrounding land was bought by Gallagher Developments. Both companies have declined to comment.

Neighbouring Hangar 2 is home to Cardington Studios, a film and TV production studio.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Stack rows of Ex- shipping-containers in the sheds....galleries and walkways to each layer could be built from scaffolding. Linings/partitions from otherwise scrap pallets.....voila! many homeless housed quickly and cheaply.(and a captive market for the suggested retail park. )
Maxthelion, Bobcro liked this
It is of course better known to us as EGD206 0-6000ft 24/7 but only used by the Met Office for launching weather balloons Monday - Friday. It should be notified active by NOTAM and not permanently active.
joe-fbs wrote:Blimey, December 2009 I posted about this, an absolute low point in my career. I had no idea that a few months later I would start on a run of three brilliant jobs leading to me flying from Cardington on the Airlander in November 2017.

More on topic, Cardington airfield is now far too small for us to operate at will plus the sheds are the wrong shape for Airlander.

That's interesting Joe and at any stage in life if you keep on knocking you can never tell what doors will open.

Why are the sheds the wrong shape, and what are the best?