For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
deliberately knocking toe-rag mobile phone snatchers off their mopeds, using specially trained and authorised police drivers and motor cyclists.

I haven't seen such an uplifting video for ages

Result: in London moped phone snatching has dropped by over 30%

Peter :wink:
flybymike, Lockhaven, MarkOlding and 9 others liked this
Unintended consequence...

Some of the incidents are now being investigated....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46321720

More important than this is the massive reduction in police budgets.

The tweet above was in response to a BBC news report earlier in the week that followed police in Hartlepool. It transpired that when 4 officers attended an incident, that was 40% of the officers for the whole town at that time. Also, the custody suite has been closed meaning that arrests have to be transported 15 miles away (taking 2 officers each time).

What is the country coming to? We’re one of the richest economies in the world and yet still seem unable to fund basic services.
By Flying_john
More important than this is the massive reduction in police budgets

Even more important is the fact that many Police officer hours are wasted dealing with social and mental welfare issues that used to be dealt with by other parts of our system. Its not unheard of for two officers to spend an entire shift "babysitting" one individual at a hospital or be transporting others to "places of safety".

It seems that anything that does not fall immediately to the other two emergency services are placed in the "police" category.

Then there is the weekend drunks, the domestic arguments, the noise complaints, the lost keys, the list goes on !

No wonder there are not enough officers to deal with real police matters, let alone policing the streets.
JAFO liked this
By johnm
I think this is an encouraging sign of the start of a row back from political correctness. The approach seems to involve a determination to catch the scrotes, balanced by a reasoned risk assessment for my money that's a philosophy deserving of wider application!.
GrahamB, Lockhaven, tankbarrell and 7 others liked this
As the victim of having my garage broken in to and an expensive motorbike stolen, not to mention the damage caused trying to break in to the garage I am all for this type of approach, if they are injured or die a painful death after falling off, well s***rolls downhill.

Happy to say the bike was recovered a few months later due being water marked and micro chipped although its visual appearance had been changed, the low life's were also caught due to cctv and their prolific burglaries around the region, they are now spending 5-7 years at her Majesties pleasure.

Strangely I was given all of their names and addresses :)
Spooky liked this
The Flyer Lynch Mob gives their predictable responses.

If a scooter rider is seriously injured (as will happen) then the police will be charged with using disproportionate force.
Innocent pedestrians and motorists will inevitably be harmed in time by this police action.
Surely prevention is better than a cure ?
Intelligence led proactive policing is far better than wild-west tactics.
Standing by for incoming indignation......
By flybymike
Miscellaneous wrote:I'm delighted to read support for the actions of the police. When I read the OP initially I feared there would be an outpouring of reasons it was unacceptable.

Here’s the first one!

The Flyer Lynch Mob gives their predictable responses.

If a scooter rider is seriously injured (as will happen) then the police will be charged with using disproportionate force.
Innocent pedestrians and motorists will inevitably be harmed in time by this police action.
Lockhaven, Chris Martyr liked this
gasman wrote:The Flyer Lynch Mob gives their predictable responses.

Lets hear your opinion after you have had £20-000 worth of damage done to your property while they were attempting to steal your motor bike, plus the cost of your motorbike should it not be recovered, plus the cost of your bike and home insurance premiums going up all because some mindless scrotes think its their right to take your property.
Nick, Miscellaneous, cockney steve and 4 others liked this
By riverrock
My opinion is you should lose rights once you stop taking resonsibility.
Lose right to be able to sue a home owner for injuries if you are trying to break in. Lose right to be treated as carefully if you are intentionally trying to evade arrest..

How can proactive policing stop a scrote on a motor bike, until the police can prove they were riding said motorbike dangerously? His sophisticated they do that without stopping them when riding?
Miscellaneous, Lockhaven, GAFlyer4Fun and 3 others liked this
By johnm
Interesting discussion...... as I pointed out earlier Mr Plod is undertaking this on the basis that an acceptable risk is involved. There are already investigations into some of the incidents and these will be about the risk to the public and acceptability of the force used.

I have no doubt that intelligence led policing is being used as well as other capacities available to Mr Plod, but this is a new and interesting approach and good luck to them...in the ongoing battle of scrote imagination versus police creativity and skill...
Lockhaven, PaulB, Nick liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
riverrock wrote:When someone commits a crime against you and is convicted, do you recieve any recompense or do you also need to sue them also?
I've claimed instead on insurance...

When I caught two scrotes breaking into my car, the magistrate/judge/person presiding ordered them to pay me compensation to fix the car. I got it in installments, something like £8 a week. They paid the court and then the court sent me a cheque.

gasman wrote:Surely prevention is better than a cure ?

Yes, and locking these people up for a while will prevent a few of these crimes.
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
riverrock liked this