Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skelly
Hi everyone.

After having a discussion with a friend I'm interested to get some info on a 3 axis microlight called a Denney Kitfox.
I have had a search on the forum and found some useful info but I would like to have a chat with any kitfox mk1 or mk2 owners,

As far as I can work out these two models are the only ones that fall into the 3 axis microlight category , please correct me if I'm wrong.

If any Kitfox owners would like to help, that would be hugely appreciated.
Cheers.
Skelly.
By pilotbarry
Skelly,

I and II can fall within the microlight category, in some cases a mk 3 can, depending on engine. Search on the forum because this has been talked about before
By skelly
Hi.
I was pretty sure that was the case, just thought I'd check in my initial question.

So,, how do I find a friendly kitfox mk1 or 2 owner in or near ish the midlands that would be willing to answer some questions I have ?
Any ideas anyone ?

Cheers.
Skel.
By Ian Melville
G-INFO should give you a short list? Some are listed as Mk2 or Mk3.
If you are specifically after the microlight version, the the BMAA forum would be a good place to start.
skelly liked this
By skelly
Righty..
Questions here..
So, as far as 3 axis machines go, from a purely visual point of view they look spot on.
However, are they a pig to take off and land ?
I have heard 'stories' ..
Would learning to master one provide you with the necessary skills to maybe move on to more classic type taildraggers in the future such as Austers cubs etc ?
How good is the availibility of spare parts in sunny England ? (have to consider crash damage here also)
How do they feel in the air ?
How do they make you feel in the air ? I'm talking grin factor here.
Thats about it so far apart from has anyone got one that I could take a ride in please ?
I'm happy to pay costs.
Cheers.
Skelly.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Did you specifically want a Kitfox?....There are lots of other choices out there, both "trainer"-tricycle and tailwheel. As others have said, there's the BMAA (Microlight aircraft) and the LAA (light aircraft ) which have a bit of overlap on the Microlight area.
This is likely to get a bit more confusing, A- because the weight-limit of a Microlight is , apparently, going to be increased to 600KG, so a lot of stuff that is too heavy to be a microlight, will be able to be out of the CAA's /EASA's oversight, which usually means cheaper and less onerous to operate ;-)

B...the unknown quantity, BREXIT. I'd follow the forums, learn as much as I can and sit tight until next April ,if I were in your position. If I've read it wrong and your heart is set on a Kitfox, to the exclusion of all others, -carry on...Winter's probably the best time to buy, but remember that hangarage is expensive and an absolute necessity for fabric-covered types. (wingfold capability,+ a covered trailer overcomes that, at a cost.
I am not a qualified pilot, so this opinion is probably worth what you paid for it!
A le Ron, skelly liked this
By Sooty25
I can't comment first hand on the flying aspects, but if you search the forum you will find some good comment buried away on both flying and the technical aspect.

There wasn't many mk1 versions imported as the mk2 came along quite quickly after it. Mk2 benefited from 4" wider cockpit and an additional 100lb on the mtow.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
cockney steve wrote:This is likely to get a bit more confusing, A- because the weight-limit of a Microlight is , apparently, going to be increased to 600KG, so a lot of stuff that is too heavy to be a microlight, will be able to be out of the CAA's /EASA's oversight, which usually means cheaper and less onerous to operate ;-)

Out of EASA's oversight yes, but 600kg MTOW aircraft will still be overseen by the BMAA or LAA on behalf of the CAA. In practice, it will make no difference to the cost of operating the present fleet, because aircraft operated under EASA rules are excluded from the 600kg MTOM opt-out.
By ak7274
The Kitfox is a grin factor aeroplane.
It isn't the easiest to land, but once mastered, very few standard taildraggers should be hard to fly after a Kitfox.
Not for me, but I have done tailwheel conversions and familiarisation training on them. A good fun aircraft.
:D
skelly liked this