Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
trying to establish what is required in order to fly 3 axis microlights on the PPL privileges of a UK ATPL.

I know on a regular PPL that a type conversion and sign off by a microlight instructor is required, but is the same still possible in this case?
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
depends on the ratings held. SEP(land)? If not, it is also worth considering and exploring the idea that something may be possible on built in LAPL privileges which I seem to remember it has, but then you probably wouldn't have the 'validity' over the past two years
By Irv Lee
There was some incident in December's Flyer around someone becoming a statistic by flying a microlight on an sep without differences training. I didn't really understand the assertion (not by Flyer, by the report writer) that the pilot hadn't had the differences training "because there didn't appear to be a requirement to do so"... Really? Not apparent in what way?
By Irv Lee
Differences training itself has no legal definition of content, but for the 'main' items (eg: VP/CSP) I'm pretty sure there was strong advice in the old CAP804 - I doubt it had it for microlight for SEPs but haven't checked. Obviously advice could be sought from BMAA, but maybe finding a school that teaches both SEP and microlight might be the way to go for combined advice - local to me I can think of Phoenix at Lee and further over is Abbas Air
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:
Is there any guidelines/format to the training required?

I think that it is the same as for a PPL holder.

Closest I have been to ending up with a damaged aeroplane, it was at the hands of an ATPL who was supposed to be current on SEPs.

absolutely no concern about that here, he's flown everything from 747's, to Buccaneers off carriers, to Pitts at competition level, and is very current on vintage tailwheel types. The skill set is there by the bucket full.

The irony is, my aircraft can be registered either as a Group A or a Microlight, but he can't fly it as it is registered as a Microlight.

I'll have a chat with the local Microlight instructor, he also has a SEP rating but not as an instructor.
By Irv Lee
rusty eagle wrote:My 1980s PPL (A) states that I can fly any single engined aircraft up to 4700 Kg. So does that authorise me to fly a microlight?

Away from the microlight issue answered above, Easa are currently limiting your national ppl to 2000kg max, if it is used in an Easa aircraft. (Assuming valid Sep rating within)