Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GolfHotel
Rob P wrote:I was concerned about the under-representation of transgender pilots this month.

Rob P

you may joke. and i did chuckle. But I met my first transgender pilot this week. As far as I am aware she has never appeared in the accident statistics. Long may that continue. But at least she is addressing the male/female in-balance in a positive and effective manner. .
Rob P, G-BLEW, johnm liked this
By Chris Martyr
I reckon you need to be just a teensy bit more specific here CH ....... :D

The two Jodel incidents were completely unrelated . One was a ground loop and the pilots age probably not specifically a factor .
The other was possibly a carb. heat related incident , and again , I don't think that the pilots age was a factor there either .

The only thing in common was the fact they were Jodels . Which to my knowledge are perfectly safe little aeroplanes .

I did also notice that there were 33% more Cessna related incidents in that report . But I don't for a second think that it reflects badly on C.152/172's . Or the ages of the pilots concerned.

You don't think it was a misogyny issue do you ? :D ....I've noticed that a lot of the blokes accused of being such are actually quite good pilots ... :D
patowalker liked this
By Gertie
Rob P wrote:I was concerned about the under-representation of transgender pilots this month.

Most of my transgender friends run yachts not aircraft. Although one is a properly licensed commercial drone pilot (I think she's sold her yacht). Another one did start to learn to fly but never finished the course (her yacht is rather nice actually - you can get a lot of boat for the price of a moderately grotty aeroplane).
G-BLEW liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well I'm going to try to head off this pointless thread derail by commenting on this Cessna one...

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-in ... 152-g-bueg

I hereby contend that this is an obvious case of instruction that can only reasonably be described as a word that the forum censor has deemed inappropriate, but which rhymes with 'bite' and starts with 'sh'.
By davey
General enquiry re aaib reports.

Does anyone know if the report is available of the Tiger Moth crash at Compton Abbas ?
By defcribed
I'd be incredibly surprised if the statistics on the ages of pilots involved in reportable accidents did not follow the same trend as the ages of drivers involved in road traffic accidents, i.e. the younger and older feature more heavily than the mid-range.
By riverrock
it may also be that older people have more time and money for GA flying - as for many of us it is a hobby - and work gets in the way! I'm sure there are stats somewhere on pilot demographics.
By Kittyhawk
defcribed wrote:I'd be incredibly surprised if the statistics on the ages of pilots involved in reportable accidents did not follow the same trend as the ages of drivers involved in road traffic accidents, i.e. the younger and older feature more heavily than the mid-range.

What is your source for this?
By Rob P
defcribed wrote:I'd be incredibly surprised if the statistics on the ages of pilots involved in reportable accidents did not follow the same trend as the ages of drivers involved in road traffic accidents

I wouldn't.

Speed of reaction is far more important in driving than flying. Preparation and planning is far more important in flying than driving. Different skill sets.

Rob P