Where have you been? What have you seen?
By MarkOlding
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
2Donkeys wrote:Audio balance is a tricky art (particularly to a beginner like me). I find that what sounds perfect over headphones or on a TV suddenly sounds poor on a mobile phone or tablet. There seems to be no one-size-fits-all mix.

That said, there is no commentary overlapping the music in this video @PeteSpencer

The last few videos have all had an ND filter on the forward-facing camera, but the last two or three have been shot at 25 fpm rather than 50 fpm and for whatever reason, it seemed to reduce its effectiveness. This video marked a return to 50 fpm, other than on the panel, which was at 25 fpm and with a manual shutter speed of 1/25. That seems to have made a significant improvement to the previous screen flickering.

Hi 2D,
Can you advise what cable you use to record the cockpit audio please, there are a couple of recommendations on here but your seems nice and clear.
Thanks for your help,
Mark
By TopCat
PaulSS wrote:As I say, certainly plenty of huge logs to remove from my eyes :oops:

If we all adhered to that particular biblical injunction, no one would ever be able to point out anything to another pilot.

Part of my pre-flight brief to any passenger, whether pilot or not, is to say "if you have any concerns, or notice me making a mistake of any kind, please tell me immediately."

I'd rather be embarrassed than dead, so bring it on :)

Catching 2Ds out making a mistake, however minor, is of course almost as rare as rocking horse poo. I like to think of it as something of a service to the rest of us, as it's so nice to imagine, albeit momentarily, that we live on the same planet and can aspire briefly to those heights.

___
Edit: I've been asked to clarify my last paragraph above by adding a smilie. As these can be used to make a post sound even more snarky, and I do genuinely want to avoid any misunderstanding, I'll be completely specific: it's slightly tongue in cheek, but intended 100% as a compliment. Now I'm all embarrassed, as I think it now reads way too sucky up... :oops:
PaulSS, 2Donkeys liked this
By 2Donkeys
@MarkOlding I use the Nflightcam GoPro Audio and Power cable. It seems to work fine for me, although a little attention to the intercom volume and squelch settings before recording also works wonders.

@topcat. You know I love you too xxx. PS. I edit all my mistakes out of course, so as not to shatter too many illusions.
By Flying_john
Good grief - be careful or the RT police controllers will be pursuing an MOR for taking up extra air time. :mrgreen:

But seriously when is it, and when isnt it appropriate to say things on the air. On another thread we have some saying that they would MOR if they were trying to speak to someone else (that you didnt know about/couldn't hear) and then experienced pilots saying they would add non-standard phrases like good morning, thanks for the service, with you etc etc as I do.

I'm just wondering where the red line is with those on the fixed end of the mic. Will they only consider an MOR for additional speech on an RT exchange if it challenges a clearance or a refusal given to enter airspace ?

Enjoyable vids, esp enjoyed Amsterdam
I believe that there is much merit in prefixing your first call with
"good <<insert appropriate time of day>>"
it gives the boys'n'girls on the other end a chance to "tune-in"
people never hear the first thing you say to them (old.adage)
2Donkeys liked this
2Donkeys wrote:Audio balance is a tricky art (particularly to a beginner like me). I find that what sounds perfect over headphones or on a TV suddenly sounds poor on a mobile phone or tablet. There seems to be no one-size-fits-all mix.

That said, there is no commentary overlapping the music in this video @PeteSpencer

If your editing software has a means to add some audio compression on your music track (about 4:1 depending upon the music dynamic range) then that will help. Similar too for the VO track when needed to get those pesky bottom end fqs leveled out. Great videos. Very helpful for away days.
2Donkeys liked this