Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

:D and I thought Rob was being derogatory (sorry Rob, I'll wait until we've shared beverages!)

So I'm spending my days until my medical using PPL Tutor App on my phone. The UI is a bit hard work but it's proving useful when I have 5mins here and there in the day time and I'm using easyPPLgroundschool.com on the PC. My approach with these is to take the test fail some questions and revise and retake. This weekend I'm picking up some Pooleys books and bits I bought as a bundle on ebay, so I'll have some real reading and studying to do locked away in my study. That is assuming Flightgear doesn't distract me too much, just downloading my ppl training aircraft.

So my rough plan is this (I'm working on the real one with duration and costs). So please shoot it down as necessary;

1. Class I Medical (11 / Oct)
2. PPL Ground school Exams over the winter (Nov / Dec)
3. Start PPL Oct if medical ok - 45-55 hours (hope not longer)
4. Night Rating - 5hrs?
4a. RT Licence
5.*10 hours Hour Building as PIC
6. IR(r) 15hours + 6 exams (This would be useful to improve my flying and give me more weather windows for HB, but not totally necessary for CPL I presume)
7. *60 Hours Hour Building as PIC
8. MEP 6 Hours + exam _ test flight
9. *30 Hours Hour Building as PIC
10. CPL / APTL Exams (9 or 14)
11. CPL 25 hours (or 28 hours if I do the MEP in the CPL)
12. IR (seems a long way away ... !)

*HB required for each rating. Will need to plan out where from/to, when (weekends/weeks off work) and in what aircraft; School, Syndicate, Other?
Rob P liked this
A few tweaks to hopefully simplify life:

Wicksay wrote:6. IR(r) 15hours + 6 exams (This would be useful to improve my flying and give me more weather windows for HB, but not totally necessary for CPL I presume)

1 written exam plus a flight test - the IMC Rating, endorsed onto a UK issued EASA licence as the IR(R), is a national rating with 1 written exam, not directly linked to other instrument qualifications. As you say, not required for a CPL holder, although it does enhance general weather capability, sharpens overall flying, and can count towards an IR if the Competency Based route is used later on

7. *60 Hours Hour Building as PIC
8. MEP 6 Hours + exam _ test flight
9. *30 Hours Hour Building as PIC
10. CPL / APTL Exams (9 or 14)

Do all 14 ATPL exams - the CPL exams on their own give no credit towards an IR, and it is rather pointless to do the CPL exams and separate IR exams when the ATPL exams combine these

11. CPL 25 hours (or 28 hours if I do the MEP in the CPL)

A change here - the "old" 28 hour CPL of 13-18 SEP, up to 5 FNPT2, 10 MEP has gone. The requirement now is that if the CPL test is to be taken in a MEP aircraft then the MEP rating training must be completed before the CPL course starts, and the CPL course (25 hours) must contain at least 5 hours on the aircraft to be used for the test. Since your plan includes the MEP rating previously then there is little to be gained from the more expensive route of completing your CPL in a MEP.

I presume one is not accredited any hours from the PPL towards any of the other ratings. e.g. I'll need 70hrs PIC before can do the twin rating? Hence the need for the hour building following the PPL.

All flying is loggable - the PIC time flown during the PPL (a minimum of 10 hours) is your starter for 10, then PIC time keeps accruing as you go on. It would appear from the maths that you are aware that a CPL test cannot be taken until you reach 200 hours total time inc 100 PIC - you do have the option to take the IR course first (once MEP complete) and subsequently a reduced (15 hr) CPL course. This route wanes and waxes in popularity over the years, there are pros and cons to each approach which are best discussed with your chosen school nearer the date!
Wicksay liked this
It's tomorrow!!! My class 1 Medical. I was at Weald Air Headcorn at the weekend and got chatting to an Instructor. After a very serendipitous conversation he offered to be my Instructor. He teaches many ratings including MEP. So if all ok tomorrow I'll be booking my first ppl lesson very very soon.

I'm nervous and excited...

Lee

:roll: :)
Rob P, AndyR liked this