Useful airfield information and home of the forum's fuel price league tables.

Moderators: deltacharlie, GlosOps

By Ebbie 2003
have had a couple of people ask about flying in the region and Barbados specifically.

Yes, there are airplanes available to rent here - many more than a few years ago - up from 2 to 4 maybe 5:)

They fall into two groups US Registered and Barbados registered.

US registered a Chrome Six and my Archer II; Barbados registered a 172 and a 152.

To solo the US one needs an FAA licence (a 61.75 is good so long as with the current originating licence and medical); the Barbados ones can be solo'd with EASA, FAA, JAR etc in Barbados airspace (the 2 out of 3 thing).

With mine one needs 100 hrs total time and a 30 minute CFI check for the insurance, the Six one needs the complex and I understand a similar number of hours. The Barbados registered ones seems to be fluid, yes a checkout and a minimum number of hours, it seems hard to track down how many - may go with the insurance so changes.

The US airplanes are privately owned, the Barbados ones by the airplane club.

Rates - the Six about US$225 per hour local to about US$275 per hour international; the Archer II US $200 per hour; the 172S US$225-275 per hour depending on whether a full club member; the 152 a little under $150 per hour. Hours are generally all Hobbs but do double check when you rent. There are no landing fees and in Barbados, so fly circuits with the big jets all day if you like.

Becoming a member of the airplane club is a good a deal if one is planning more than a couple of hours on the club planes - about US$150.

Instructors between US$30 and US$50 per hour.

Availability on the planes is generally not a problem, the Six flies lobsters a couple of days a month, the Archer flies a couple of times a week, the club planes are used for training and so weekends can be busy, but nothing like a UK flight school.

Taking a plane away for a day trip to another island is not a problem (avoid weekends for club planes - you would need to get a Barbados licence anyway for international), generally you're asked to put an hour a day on the plane - nearest island is an hour away so not likely to be a problem.

The Archer has a couple of wear all the while jackets, a 4 person raft and a GPS PLB - not sure about the others.

No issue with flying to other islands except Mustique (one must get special training), Union Island landing one may want to avoid as it is "interesting" - other than that all airports have long, good condition hard surface runways - there are no uncontrolled airports.

OTHER airplanes - sometimes there is a 140 PA28 here US registered. There was another Archer II here but that was written off in an off airport landing a couple of years back. The Coconut Airways Tomahawk and the Arrow have been languishing in the hanger on Bequia for five years since the death of Chris Gibbson, just too expensive to get then out of there. Also there is a microlight here that one can go for a flight around the island in.

So that's it for flying in Barbados for the coming season.
Boxkite liked this
By akg1486
Is it possible to move this thread to the ATIS-forum? Great general reference for those who may go on holiday in Barbados.

A few days ago, a club member was showing pix and movies from when he was flying in Bahamas; I imagine Barbados would be a bit similar. Going there immediately went on my bucket list.
By timjenner
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Many thanks for the info, Eddie. Shame there's nothing in St Lucia - had I known a couple of weeks ago I may have "encouraged" the wife to chose a different holiday! :lol: Maybe next time!
By Ebbie 2003
There used to be helicopters here, originally a Squirrel and then an R44, they would take people on flights around the island.

There is still the Squirrel base in the centre of Bridgetown - the hangar is now a party venue.

The R44 went about 5 years ago - not for self hire though.

I cannot be 100% about this but I do not believe there are any self fly helicopters for hire in the Eastern Caribbean, but a few places have the sight seeing ones.
By Ebbie 2003
Have had a couple of people ask about flying in the region and Barbados specifically. Put it in the GA one someone suggested put it here.

Yes, there are airplanes available to rent here - many more than a few years ago - up from 2 to 4 maybe 5:)

They fall into two groups US Registered and Barbados registered.

US registered a Cherokee Six and my Archer II; Barbados registered a 172 and a 152.

To solo the US one needs an FAA licence (a 61.75 is good so long as with the current originating licence and medical); the Barbados ones can be solo'd with EASA, FAA, JAR etc in Barbados airspace (the 2 out of 3 thing).

With mine one needs 100 hrs total time and a 30 minute CFI check for the insurance, the Six one needs the complex and I understand a similar number of hours. The Barbados registered ones seems to be fluid, yes a checkout and a minimum number of hours, it seems hard to track down how many - may go with the insurance so changes.

The US airplanes are privately owned, the Barbados ones by the airplane club.

Rates - the Six about US$225 per hour local to about US$275 per hour international; the Archer II US $200 per hour; the 172S US$225-275 per hour depending on whether a full club member; the 152 a little under $150 per hour. Hours are generally all Hobbs but do double check when you rent. There are no landing fees and in Barbados, so fly circuits with the big jets all day if you like.

Becoming a member of the airplane club is a good a deal if one is planning more than a couple of hours on the club planes - about US$150.

Instructors between US$30 and US$50 per hour.

Availability on the planes is generally not a problem, the Six flies lobsters a couple of days a month, the Archer flies a couple of times a week, the club planes are used for training and so weekends can be busy, but nothing like a UK flight school.

Taking a plane away for a day trip to another island is not a problem (avoid weekends for club planes - you would need to get a Barbados licence anyway for international), generally you're asked to put an hour a day on the plane - nearest island is an hour away so not likely to be a problem.

The Archer has a couple of wear all the while jackets, a 4 person raft and a GPS PLB - not sure about the others.

No issue with flying to other islands except Mustique (one must get special training), Union Island landing one may want to avoid as it is "interesting" - other than that all airports have long, good condition hard surface runways - there are no uncontrolled airports.

OTHER airplanes - sometimes there is a 140 PA28 here US registered. There was another Archer II here but that was written off in an off airport landing a couple of years back. The Coconut Airways Tomahawk and the Arrow have been languishing in the hanger on Bequia for five years since the death of Chris Gibbson, just too expensive to get then out of there. Also there is a microlight here that one can go for a flight around the island in.

So that's it for flying in Barbados for the coming season.

PS. Fuel in Barbados for those who fly in is by RUBiS the truck comes to you, cell phone call - yesterday I paid US $7.35 per usg, they take Barbados dollars, US dollars, credit cards. In Barbadis there are no landing fees for light singles and no parking fees either :D If you are in something heavier you can get a 90% discount on the landing and parking by parking on the south rather than north ramp. Was told by a jet owner that wheeze made her month or so down here a deal as the saving paid for the fuel down from Florida - nothing the super rich like better than a freebie :lol: