Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
cockney steve wrote:... during the war....

That is a tiny bit relevant and why your post is daft.

Of note:
...a total of 174 pilots, women as well as men, were killed flying for the ATA in the wartime years.
GonzoEGLL, Bobcro, Rob P liked this
By TopCat
DarrenL wrote:
ianfallon wrote:Perhaps we should thankful it’s not another one of those cartoons :D

Spoke too soon?

I really don't know where to start with all that!

Indeed, it just made my eyes bleed to read it.

Typical dumbing down to the lowest common denominator.

On topic, I'm glad I took up the option of a UK PPL when I converted to an EASA licence. It can stay in my flight bag in the boot of the car.

I so wish I had. I'll be revalidating by flight test next time round, so I can get my UK PPL sorted out at the same time.
Cookie wrote:
Unfortunately, there have been a large number of accidents, some serious, over the last few years which have been directly attributable to lack of skill or knowledge which would have been avoidable with appropriate familiarisation and/or differences training. I have been directly involved with the AAIB in the reports associated with a number of such incidents and accidents, and encourage all pilots to undertake appropriate training when converting onto new types via the LAA Pilot Coaching Scheme or with other suitably experienced instructors.

I have included some up-to-date guidance on the LAA website associated with required familiarisation and differences training found here:

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/PCS/pcs.html

All LAA coaches are either FI or CRI, and most have completed all differences themselves applicable to LAA types, so they can provide your differences training or familiarisation training on both EASA and non-EASA aeroplanes.

Cookie

There is a bit of a potential flaw in the LAA coaching scheme, at least for some of us. I'm based in the east of East Anglia, there is one coach based at Norwich who might fit my requirements assuming he is available. If he isn't, the next closest is Linconshire. If it is a conversion to my aircraft, that is required, I'm potentially, in a tight spot.

East Anglia is very under represented in the LAA coaching scheme.
Dave W wrote: and why your post is daft.

I remember reading that by the end of the war more pilots/aircraft were being lost in accidents than due to enemy action which led to the creation of the first air accident investigations to improve the situation.

I shudder to think of the pilot who, when planning to fly a new or slightly different type, draws inspiration from 'the war'.
G-BLEW wrote:That is significantly better, well done.

Ian

I would say that is significantly, if not totally, different.
Glad someone at the CAA understood the mistake they made. I wonder if anyone checked the first notice before it was published? Too many notices and too few staff / supervisors?
By MikeB
G-BLEW wrote:That is significantly better, well done.

Yes I agree on the whole, but would suggest that...

An aircraft should never be flown unless the pilot has the appropriate licence and rating. The consequences of this can be fatal.

would be more appropriate and correct if the word "training," was added prior to "licence and rating"