Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

I know it sounds like a dumb question - I'm assuming, as it's a medical test, I'm either capable or not.

But, just in case - I've got a CAD Test booked for first thing next year to give me a definite yay or nay on removing my Daytime Only medical limitation and allowing night flying. I've booked it with AMS Gatwick.

It's late afternoon which is nice - easy train ride down to London, so I'll be chilled out and rested but is there anything else to be done in the meantime?
Last edited by vw-dan on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There seems to be a lot of controversy about this test, as it's very artificial. there's extensive correspondence on the Prune Australia and Pacific forums on the subject of CVD and Doctor Pape who actually won a court -case for Aussie Pilots V the regulator.
I get the impression that CASA (Aussie regulator) has spent a lot of effort and money trying to overturn the ruling.....meanwhile, thousands of accident-free hours have been logged by Commercial CVD pilots, who are statistically safer than those with full colour vision!
cockney steve wrote:There seems to be a lot of controversy about this test, as it's very artificial. there's extensive correspondence on the Prune Australia and Pacific forums on the subject of CVD and Doctor Pape who actually won a court -case for Aussie Pilots V the regulator.
I get the impression that CASA (Aussie regulator) has spent a lot of effort and money trying to overturn the ruling.....meanwhile, thousands of accident-free hours have been logged by Commercial CVD pilots, who are statistically safer than those with full colour vision!

Cheers Steve - yeah, just done some reading on that. It's very strange - and when you tell people you were classed as colour blind they think you literally can't tell red from green! Annoyingly, I don't even really want to fly at night as such - I just want to remove the restriction of sunset if I'm running late.
Cryogenng wrote:You can't really prepare other than being well rested.

It's quite an odd experience.

One thing I will say is, don't panic if it feels like you're guessing a lot of answers. That's entirely normal.

Thanks Cryogenng - pretty much what I thought. Should be interesting if nothing else :D
Thought I'd follow up and say I passed today!

My first test was apparently very borderlinr, so I had to do another 3 tests to get the average.

Very simply but pretty hard going - had to wear the fake opticians glasses too because mine had a slight tint and a coating applied. Definitely went through some real sections where I couldn't see a damn thing happening. Kind of hypnotic!
Thanks - rather chuffed. Must admit, given the costs of travel and the test it added up to be worth a good few hours worth of flying so I'd have been gutted to 'fail', but I wanted to know either way.

Only problem is that it's got me considering investigating a Class 1 medical (Got some other optical things that are non-certain), y'know, just in case ;)