The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Charles Hunt
IIRC correctly aileron hinges on Warriors say 'do not lubricate'.

However an LAA article (and common sense) suggests aileron/flap/rudder hinges should be lubricated. What does the team think, and what specific product do you use?

Many thanks.
By rogerb
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lubricate yes but make sure it is one that doesn't freeze.!
Still recall the frozen elevator on a Condor when I was learning ( instructor with me).
A gentle descent into warmer air sorted it and I think strong words were had with maintenance.
Charles Hunt liked this
By Korenwolf
rogerb wrote:Lubricate yes but make sure it is one that doesn't freeze.!
Still recall the frozen elevator on a Condor when I was learning ( instructor with me).
A gentle descent into warmer air sorted it and I think strong words were had with maintenance.

Aeroshell Fluid 1 is the stuff to use, we used to call it "Antifreeze oil" - Now replaced by Aeroshell Turbine Oil 3 if you can't find Fluid 1.

(Other lubricants are available, just look for anything conforming to DEF-STAN 91-44 or -99)
By Flying_john
We use Wurth HHS2000 its a hangover from when were on a CofA and continue to use it now we do all our own maint on a PtF.

Its a bit cleaner than regular grease and has a sticky quality that helps is stay where it is put and you don't have to "overuse" it, and it doesnt blow off on first flight after maint.
By Genghis the Engineer
There are different sorts of hinge mechanism, made from different materials.

If in doubt, refer to the manual for the aeroplane. If there is no manual (sadly too common for LAA aeroplanes), look up the part on places like the Aircraft Spruce or LAS websites, and see if there's any guidance there.

There isn't a "one size fits all" answer to this question.

G
By mick w
The problem is , getting the Grease to where it's required , very difficult without disassembling , cleaning & re-Greasing is the only way to be 100% sure , ask RV owners with Cowling Pins . :thumright:
By Rob P
3-in-1

Engine oil from the dipstick for the piano hinges.

Rob P
By cockney steve
Half a century ago :oops: I worked with premature baby incubators. to circulate the air, was an induction motor driving an impeller. These things had to run 24/7 for ,sometimes, months. oilite bearings were fed by a felt pad soaked with Mobil Handy oil !

This was, at the time, the only readily-available light oil without additives. 3-in 1 and other similar stuff contained additives which would gum-up and actually seize the bearings.
Aviation connection! The company concerned was part of the Narco (Avionics) group.
By Rob L
Boxkite wrote:The Warrior may have self-lubricating bushes - Oilite or such.

It does, but Oilite is quite different stuff (a sintered brass or bronze product...nowhere near the nylon-based product that Piper used in aileron hinges).