Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Wicksay
I was wondering how many active students are on the forum? It would be fun and interesting to me to know who you are, what your flying in and what stage of flying your currently at, where's your home base, why you're flying and do you have a good wisdom tip?

Lee, 51

A few hours in a C42 but will probably train for PPL in a Robin DR400

First PPL lesson next month!

Headcorn, Weald Air

I'm changing my career and want to fly commercially.

Tip: it's never too late!!
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'll shortly be an active student again, as I'm going to renew my IMC rating, or whatever they call it these days. It's been lapsed for so long that I'll be doing a few hours dual first.

I'm also going to renew my UK CAA PPL by doing a flight test, and hopefully also use that to get my EASA renewal in sync.

Does that count? :)
Wicksay liked this
By Sandman
I started my flying lessons for PPL back in June and have done six lessons so far in a Grob 115A. I fly from Nottingham Airport with Sherwood Flying Club.

I was always interested in flying but was never able to find the time and priority to take it up. I'm still struggling with time, having 2 small kids, but have decided to move it forward anyway :) I have the advantage of working flexible times and home based, so I can select flying time in the quieter times and can avoid the busy weekends.

Lessons so far have been straight forward but my last one focusing on climbing and descending turns proved to be a bit more challenging. For the first time I felt a bit overwhelmed during the exercise, although this being the first lesson again after a two month break likely also contributed to this.

My only purpose for learning to fly is for personal pleasure, I have no intentions to pursue a flying career.

Regards,
Sander
Wicksay liked this
I am 55, passed my PPL in a PA28 10 years ago and have done around 10 hours since. First time then aircraft availability meant my licence lapsed.

This year I have bought an X-air and fly out of a farm strip, I have had 7 hours of instruction and at 14:00 wind permitting I will be doing dual circuits and then hopefully going solo for the first time (second time really)

An hour ago I moved the sheep out of the field, just having lunch then I will be on my bike for the 1/2 mile ride to the strip :)

Flying just for [very slow] fun and loving every minute
TopCat, seanxair, Rob P and 1 others liked this
After a couple of false starts, family, mortgage, work, I finally got the NPPL after I had retired at 67 in 2007.
2008 bought my Emeraude, sole owner, then did the tailwheel differences to go with it.
At the age of 78 I'm still loving it.
Wisdom tip.
Join the LAA, find your local "strut"/club, go to their meetings once a month, get a share or buy an LAA type aircraft, learn via your engineer how to maintain it, spend a lot less cash on your flying.
Wicksay liked this
By Nick T
Sandman wrote:I started my flying lessons for PPL back in June and have done six lessons so far in a Grob 115A. I fly from Nottingham Airport with Sherwood Flying Club.

I was always interested in flying but was never able to find the time and priority to take it up. I'm still struggling with time, having 2 small kids, but have decided to move it forward anyway :) I have the advantage of working flexible times and home based, so I can select flying time in the quieter times and can avoid the busy weekends.

Lessons so far have been straight forward but my last one focusing on climbing and descending turns proved to be a bit more challenging. For the first time I felt a bit overwhelmed during the exercise, although this being the first lesson again after a two month break likely also contributed to this.

My only purpose for learning to fly is for personal pleasure, I have no intentions to pursue a flying career.

Regards,
Sander

From one Nottingham based pilot to another, hello! Good luck with your training :)

Feel free to say hello if you’re ever there at a weekend and you see me around my shareoplane (the green & white archer)
Sandman liked this
By MachFlyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Peter 51 just had 1st “proper” lesson after amazing trial lesson at Liverpool JL. Wish I could have started years earlier but hopefully it’s “never too late”
Why? Because it’s always something I’ve wanted to do! Simples.
Wicksay liked this