Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By trapdoor
:roll:

Charley Farley wrote:ORS4 1260 does not relax anything within that declaration, because ORS4 1260 refers to an entirely different type of license to those listed in that declaration.

You don’t HAVE to take advantage if it doesn’t fit with your version of reality. Fortunately it’s not compulsory so it might be best to just file it away in the ‘didn’t understand this so not going to take the risk’ skip and move on.

As it’s temporary, the CAA aren’t going to spend any more resource on tweeking the website - things like that cost money and time. They have issued an official notice which people are at liberty to take advantage of or not. I’m sure the CAA care not one jot whether everyone or no one utilises it. Pretty sure it’s been facilitated for their benefit rather than ours, but I’m not complaining.

My only concern is that people kicking off at them about their decision in how it is implemented may make them think twice about extending it, which would be a shame. And I’m sure if it is extended, then it will go on their website with the wording amended slightly.

I’m just happy that I have ‘saved’ about £500 this year by taking advantage.
flybymike, kanga liked this
By Charley Farley
Hello folks.....remember this old thread?

Well, I finally got a reply from the CAA about the fact that their web site hadn't been updated to include an option for holders of an EASA PPL or LAPL when wanting to self-declare for medical purposes.

It only too them 4 months, but here is the reply:

Good morning,

Thank you for your email. At the outset, please accept my apologies for the unintentional delay in our response; I can assure you that there was no discourtesy intended on our part.

Unfortunately, the self declaration medical form has not yet been updated to reflect the new changes introduced. As a temporary interim measure we advise you select a different option in order to allow the form to complete. It is clear from your records that we hold for you that you would by flying a PPL.

We are not currently able to advise if this is likely to be extended as we have not yet been advised of an extension from our policy department.

Kind regards,

(the first paragraph was in a different font, so I'm guessing it had been copied and pasted into a lot of emails).

Anyhow, the bottom line is that you can self declare with an EASA PPL or LAPL now.

Yes, this is what several people said all along.........but at least I have it in writing now.

Just a pity it wasn't before I renewed my medical :-(

I hope they do extend it.
By PaulB
scottish_ppl wrote:Yet anybody today checking the requirements on the official website, will still be told they need a medical:

CAP 1441

but the exemption exempts you from that (with certain exceptions). That's why it's an exemption, isn't it?

.... and it seems to have been extended until April 2020

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1283.pdf
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Great news on the date.
I see they now talk about having made a medical declaration previously, which helps one or two earlier in this thread to interpret it the way I think it was always originally meant. I'd have written para 3.3.(e) in relation to biennial or lapl training hours differently though. This could be clearer when it comes to the pilot undergoing an hour's refresher training with an instructor - it uses unusual phrasing of 'pilot training flights'.... surely it means the instructor cannot have the self declare medical and it is irrelevant what the other member of the crew has?
Piecing together is says:
"Licence holders must only operate: "...
… "the aircraft on flights which are not: " ...
… "pilot training flights"
http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1283.pdf
That surely has to refer to the instructor, not the other "licence holder" involved in a biennial training flight...
By flybymike
I noticed the same anomaly in the original exemption number 1260 but didn’t want to bring it to anyone’s attention in case I opened a can of worms!
I also now notice that the latest exemption doesn’t appear to exclude introductory flights or cost shared flights like the original.
By Irv Lee
Also, might be false memory, but did the original exemption allowing this (welcome) use of the self declare medical only allow it for licences issued prior to 8/4/2018? Doesn't matter now, just trying to clean my clogged up neuron paths.
By Irv Lee
ak7274 wrote:It's not well written.
Can an NPPL continue to fly an EASA aircraft with or without a self Dec?

Nppl ssea different exemption, nothing to do with this, but yes, til 7/4/2019 unless changed
By ak7274
Requirement for Holders of Part-FCL Private Pilot Licences and Light Aircraft Pilots Licences to
hold a NATIONAL PILOTS LICENCE or an EASA Part-MED Medical Certificate when Operating EASA
Aircraft in the UK.
I never got even a CSE in English and I see a problem there.
The document also states in the explanotary notes.....
This will be achieved by allowing GA pilots with UK issued Part-FCL LAPL and PPL pilot licences
to operate certain UK registered EASA GA aircraft whilst holding a pilot medical declaration under
specified conditions and subject to certain excluded cases and without the need for those pilots to also
be issued with a Part-FCL LAPL equivalent UK national pilot licence. The essential requirement of pilot
medical fitness remains. The UK will continue to monitor the Exemption effect closely and gather and
analyse safety data (fatal accidents with medical/cause contribution) and medical declaration use in the
UK GA sector.
Am I the only one to find it a little confusing?
By Ancien
I ask the legal eagles out there:
I have a Part FCL PPL/A
Does this exemption mean that I can keep my MEP [EASA type] on a declaration. Long lapsed IR.
I can't see in the document that exclusion.
No doubt I've missed something.
Cheers.