Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:If you don't need the distance correction, you can get stick on reading bits which you could stick onto your aviation sunglasses.

e.g. These.

Perfect, can replace as I get older too!

Would these work put on top of prescription (short sight) glasses too?
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dunno about the need to tell the optician you want varifocals: I always tell my bloke I want varifocals at the outset and, rightly or wrongly I always seem to end up buying from him and paying an arm and a leg:

I note there is a printed caveat on the prescription to the effect that: "On your head be it if you take this prescription off to someone else to be dispensed." ( or words to that effect :roll: )

Positive side is they're always 'right first time'.

As for stick ons: They won't help if you have, for example astigmatism to any degree or other odd lens shape which your optician will know (and should tell you).

Peter
Over 50 and use the CAA half mil paper chart and still put a route on it and mark up notams areas that affect the flight and diversion options.

I went through a phase a few years ago when I started to struggle to read the chart... coincided with when they started doing yellow tints and also blue text over the CAS boundary blue stripe etc.
Also started to struggle with the altimeter setting so went to an independent optician armed with half mil chart and used that to confirm the distances I needed to be able to read it. (e.g. on my lap, on a yoke for a tablet and on the instrument panel for any panel mount gps etc).

Got varifocal prescription sunglasses as I don't fly at night and I always fly with sunglasses to reduce the glare. Next medical the AME made glasses a requirement on my Class 2.

The following year my eyesight worsened for reading and the optician gave me a new prescription. I still passed the Class 2 with the old prescription.

This year my eyesight improved and the AME said I don't need glasses (I almost read the bottom line on the test) .

I have just looked at an old IGN French half mil chart and find that easier to read than the CAA half mil chart where the chart coverage overlaps.
mo0g wrote:...

My intention here is to get the eye test, and then use the prescription to order some sunglasses online..

You will need your pupil eye distance measurements which wont be on the prescription in my limited experience. The dispensing optician measures it when ordering the glasses, which might not be the same person that wrote the prescription. Can take the prescription to any dispensing optician if you want to shop around. Not sure how that works ordering online.. I did look into it once and some need a face picture that includes something they use as a scale such as an old cd/dvd. Was not sure of the accuracy so paid the fee for the dispensing optician to measure it properly.

The dispensing optician does a fitting service once the glasses have been made and can make some minor adjustments with the nose bridge and arms etc. You wont get that ordering online, and would you know what to look for to check correct fitting and make adjustments?

I know some people that order online and have been very happy. I know my mother that ordered through a High Street dispensing optician and needs to take them back as she is convinced someone put the wrong lenses in.

There is a whole different debate about independent opticians v high street chains.
There is a whole different debate about cheap lenses or expensive lenses for the same prescription.

Good luck!
Pupil distance is easily measured with a ruler and a mirror.

Ordering online, certainly from the two suppliers I have used, has been simple and hassle free.

Rob P
I'm 68 and have been wearing glasses since my mid 40s. I have an eye check (and prescription update if needed) every year before my medical (Class 2). I wear bi-focals, and have a spare pair on board.

Went to Lydd for the first time a few days ago flying across Southend CAS (for the first time) to and from Colchester (and to the NW) on both the outbound and inbound legs. During the return leg outbound from Lydd I asked for Sheerness-Southend Pier-Southminster transit route, but was granted Sheerness-Southend Pier-Northey Island instead. I was using both 1/2mill paper and SD. My C172 also has an old SkyMap, which gives some useful resolution.

What I hated was that my route on the map for the change in plan was cut by the map fold. Thankfully, I folded the map to account for this; I also did a bit of studying on the Southend VRPs the day before my trip just in case I did get re-routed, so I could get to the right VRP safely and on track. Also helpful was the SD GPS to confirm - but there has been the odd occasion when SD has failed me.

Yes, the 1/2mill map is a handful when you fly single pilot on longer journeys. Therefore, during nav prep I use 1/4 mill maps for geo reference points. It really depends upon how much you want to research your route, especially into unfamiliar CAS. I do the study which helps to alleviate some of the 'what-ifs'. All good so far...

I also carry a cheap plastic magnifying square should something be illegible. But I tend to rehearse my route on both SD and 1/2mill the day before.
Been saddled with glasses since my mid teens for minor correction, never had an issue...until a few months ago.

I’m 48 in a few days (yay!scr3w all those who thought I’d be dead by now...)

The missus had cornea surgery about a decade ago as she was in black furry flying rat territory - so bad without her heavy prescription loons, she couldn’t even read the time on the large clock radio at the side of the bed.

Her ophthalmic surgeon is a friend of ours, and she did say to me in April that I can expect the old fart long sightedness to kick in by our next appointment. For her, it kicked in at 40, and TBH that’s fine.

It still sucks that a few months ago I could read the mouse print on the kids toys, and now I’m waving the stuff back and forward trying to find the sweet spot.... :shock:
By seanxair
56 and can't read the bedside clock either. I have bi-focal prescription sunglasses which are good on all but the dullest days as they only have a light tint.

Use Skydemon on a 10" tablet despite being short of space. Have a selection of 1:250,000 maps as back up and with lines drawn on for longer trips though have never had the need to look at them (my long trips are not very!)

Most likely to use the paper maps as groundsheets if camping
GrahamB wrote:The GM to Part NCO.GEN.135 is very specific:
The documents, manuals and information may be available in a form other than on printed paper. An electronic storage medium is acceptable if accessibility, usability and reliability can be assured.

As an over 65, I have always carried a paper chart and always will. It doesn't ensure I won't bust airspace like SD will but I have lost GPS and seen screens freeze too often to say it is 100% reliable.
I wear bi-focals for reading and PC screens/instruments and carry 1/2mill and 1/4mill of local area and can't say I have a problem with them. I have never found an optician who wants to make varifocals for me that range from plain for long distance to +3 for reading. Maybe the difference is too much.

And paper charts make good sunscreens to stop the i-pad from melting when parked!
Bob Upanddown wrote:I have lost GPS and seen screens freeze too often to say it is 100% reliable.

I've never had a "real" GPS freeze. Over the years, I've used a Garmin 296, 496 and now an Aera 660. While SkyDemon is great software, iPads were never designed (nor intended) to be used in aircraft - they are more at home in a coffee shop.
I carry a CAA half mil
not sure if it's current, the papyrus is so torn it's hard to tell
still, it's better than the tablet (no not that sort) of stone with the chiselled runes (so hard to make amendments)

only GPS that's ever let me down is an ancient Garmin 295 that I left in the sun all day
By TopCat
RisePilot wrote:iPads were never designed (nor intended) to be used in aircraft

FWIW, I've been using Sky Demon on a Galaxy Tab S on every flight (about 60 hours total) for the last year, and it hasn't missed a beat either in planning mode or flying mode.

I know past performance is no guarantee of future success, but it's been better than I expected.