What are you planning? Where shall we go?
The nights are drawing in, and the flying season is coming to a close - so naturally I've just used my CRI rating to help get four people back into the air after a lay-off, some still with valid ratings, some needing an LPC. It is interesting to note, however, that I was saying many of the same things to all four pilots, and indeed to many other people I fly with for club checks etc. A lot of what I say is stuff that I learned many years ago from Irv Lee when I attended one of his PPL Masterclasses. Assuming Irv's willing, would there be any interest in trying to set up a Masterclass event in the Surrey/Sussex area to while away a wet Saturday or Sunday?
Fairoaks please, Redhill at a pinch. Not Shoreham or Biggin.

Is this a whole day type thing, or a couple of hours in the afternoon? Can you go into a bit more detail on the content? Whether I'd be up for it would be very dependent on what was likely to be in it. I was disappointed with a Gasco safety evening I went to at Redhill earlier this year.
The one I attended, albeit many years ago, was about 6 hours with a lunch break and was packed with useful info. GPS was just coming in to mainstream use at the time (I think it was about 2003) and Irv covered how to integrate it safely into your flying, and that's stuff that I'm still teaching people myself even today.

I think Irv tries to run the courses midway between airfields, rather than at a specific airfield, in order to have as big a catchment area as possible.
http://www.higherplane.co.uk/seminars.html contains the general contents and attendee comments. I use a Hotmail address on the page to farm interest. As @T67M says, they are usually in pubs or hotels near motorway junctions to give maximum catchment area - and arranged by perceived demand. I have had my eye on a pub near the M23 with parking to cover interest from pilots in range of Southern M25, M23 and Sussex A27 (eg Shoreham, Chichester) in catchment for a little while should demand develop. Any club that has comfortable facilities and food can have one at the airfield by request (eg: Compton Abbas who want a third one sometime this autumn/winter for their members, but usually others welcome there for a temp membership fee)
i try to find a day that interested parties want. (The most recent at Compton Abbas were midweek as that suited the interested members, but most are Saturday or Sunday). If enough register, it could be 2 days running as I limit numbers too.
For a few reasons (personal, traffic and location driven), I have circulated interested parties with a suggestion of Sunday 18th November, near Gatwick end of M23 to make it in range of pilots living close to M25 South, A/M23 and A27 east.
Irv Lee wrote:For a few reasons (personal, traffic and location driven), I have circulated interested parties with a suggestion of Sunday 18th November, near Gatwick end of M23 to make it in range of pilots living close to M25 South, A/M23 and A27 east.

I am interested and proposed location works. Will you post final details here or link to site? Many thanks.
Thanks, @Uptimist Quick read of http://www.higherplane.co.uk/seminars.html and an e-mail to the hotmail registration address at the bottom will start the process. Same for requesting a different part of country.
Couple of emails this week, asking whether confirmed date... yes, going ahead near Gatwick Sunday 18th November. If there is a last minute tsunami of bookings i would repeat either next day or day before (not sure what a pre-repeat is called!)
If anyone has decided to attend but hasn't got a confirmation receipt yet, please jump in now, we have nice numbers at the moment, but there is always one (sometimes two or three) who had decided to come but couldn't quite get round to telling me, and it is easier to add one now before I give the location the numbers and prepare the handouts than after. The location and catering should be very pleasant, and is only about 10-12 minutes drive from either a M25 or M23 junction on a Sunday and not too far at all from Redhill.
Good to see a full house of diverse pilots obviously enjoying each other's company yesterday, thanks to all who came and apologies for the clear blue skies outside, i usually order cloud and drizzle for Masterclass days.
Cessna57, kingbing, Dave W liked this