Where have you been? What have you seen?
By BlackheathBloke
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Good video, would have been nice to understand some of the potential costs of operating into there.
By 2Donkeys
Airport charges (landing and a couple of overnights) plus mandatory handling came to €310 including VAT. Not cheap, but with a reasonably full aircraft, and a business meeting to attend, the marginal cost was definitely worth it compared to landing at Lelystad or Rotterdam.
BlackheathBloke liked this
Comment:

As a VFR-only pilot I find the approach charts interesting, but because I am unused to reading them they don't appear for long enough for me to figure out where you are, and where you are headed next. OK, I could pause the video, but if it wasn't a huge chore I'd appreciate an overlaid arrow indicating where on the approach / procedure you are at that moment.

Otherwise, love it as ever, and do appreciate the subdued engine sounds now included.

Rob P
2Donkeys liked this
By cockney steve
I last flew some 11 years ago, Liverpool- Limoges (Ryanair) clean and modern, fairly noisy, spartan with several empty seats due to broken tray-tables.

Forward to a couple of weeks ago, Manchester-Schiphol via Easy-jet. Smoother, smarter, quieter and more comfortable aircraft. A real roar and shudder when takeoff power was applied,-plus a strong push in the back . A much nicer experience than Ryan.

Schiphol seemed huge....thought they were ground-taxying us to final destination!
Landings greasers, compared to the"slap it on" of the blue and yellow.
"security" tedious, fairly thorough, but absolutely no problem with the operators,who's job I don't envy one little bit.
Only criticism, Easy stated "gate" would close 30 min. before flight. Now, as an inexperienced traveller, how am i supposed to differentiate between the check-in and the final check to enter the "holding-pen" at the embarkation-point.....In the event, despite being late, the gate hadn't even opened, let -alone closed! Captain explained and apologised for delay (we were over 1/2 hour late, then a loooong taxi before t/o.....that was Schiphol. a similar, though shorter delay an MAN.
According to some, a delay is "normal" with Easy.
Loved the flights, hated the rigmarole at each end. ...oh, and the return was IMC all the way from a very low drizzly cloudbase both ends.

Was my experience different due to a 10 year technology -gap, or is Airbus really a nicer experience than the cramped Irish cattletruck? tinfoil hat secured. :twisted:
By Paul_Sengupta
Couple of comments....

1) The YouTube squeaky music is awful! :D Whatever music you use, you might want to reduce the music volume while you're talking over it.

2) Operationally - I notice this because I'm guilty of it myself...you might want to slow your readbacks down a bit.

Enjoying these videos though. I've subscribed. :D

cockney steve wrote:According to some, a delay is "normal" with Easy.

I went to Luxemburg this weekend just gone with Easyjet. We were delayed on the afternoon flight out on Friday and delayed even more on the evening flight back on Sunday. I think it's inevitable with LoCos as they have turnaround times which leave little in the way of contingency, and delays will mount up through the day. Slots will be missed and delays will ramp up.

For the return flight from Luxemburg it was explained that the aircraft arrived late in Luxemburg as the previous flight from Portugal had been late arriving. Then of course we missed our outbound slot, and initially they said, while we were sitting on the aeroplane, the earliest slot was two hours hence, though there was a possibility of one in *only* one and a half hours. They switched off the seatbelt signs, said we could use the loos, and brought round some water. As it was, we suddenly got a slot at short notice after only about 20 mins, so signs on, pushback and we were away. We arrived in London "only" an hour and a half late.

cockney steve wrote:Was my experience different due to a 10 year technology -gap, or is Airbus really a nicer experience than the cramped Irish cattletruck? tinfoil hat secured. :twisted:

They should have a similar seat pitch. I think the Airbus is a little more comfortable in headroom/shoulder room than a 737 if you're at the window seat.

Edit: I've just looked it up. Ryanair has a 30" seat pitch, Easyjet has 29". However because of the difference in cabin diameters, Ryanair has 17" width seats whereas Easyjet has 18".
2Donkeys, cockney steve liked this
By PeteSpencer
Very enjoyable: didn't mind the music.

Noticed that when you were given your first descent you virtually closed the throttle In our elderly arrer at that point the 'gear up' klaxon would have woken the dead and unless MP was increased the gear would have come tumbling down:
Does your modern a/c not have 'auto-extend'? I know that in many arrers this facility has been disabled.

Peter
By 2Donkeys
Hi @PeteSpencer

The impression of closing the throttle is an illusion. At FL90 with the throttle fully open, there is significant physical backwards movement on that throttle before the manifold pressure starts to reduce from the 21” or so achieved at that level. I am actually coming back to 19” for the descent but the combination of the camera’s wide angle and the altitude suggests otherwise. The gear horn doesn’t go off until the throttle is around the 14” position with the gear up so even in a very rapid descent with the MP at around 16” you won’t have a problem. The Lance has the same auto gear extend system as the Arrow, but this is selected into the disabled position, hence the amber light next to the greens.

A descent at 19” and around 750fpm avoids the aircraft accelerating too much, avoiding in turn any bumpy cloud transits at speeds well into the yellow arc.

The Garmin panel incorporates a FDR feature which allows clinical (during and post-flight) inspection of CHT cooling rates so these kind of descents aren’t an issue for the engine.
PeteSpencer liked this
Loved it
I’ve also got an N Reg low tail lance - although avionics fit is not as smart as yours, but seeing what it’s capable of in IFR is another reason for me to push on with the CBIR
Thought the balance of the video was just right and demystified a lot of the processes

Thanks for posting
2Donkeys liked this