Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just wondering if anyone here is either based there or has recently flown in?Googled for the website which says its a 700m strip PPR not required, but I thought it prudent to call the number on the website anyway as I wish to fly in and stay a week - however the number is for the storage business with a message saying the business is closed until January...

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards, SD..
By stevelup
It's less than one mile from my house. Totally chilled out place - nothing happens most of the time. Runway is a bit undulating which can be interesting, but nothing too horrible.

I can't for one minute imagine staying for a week would be a problem.

Airfield website here:-

http://www.draycotaerodrome.com

No PPR. Honesty box in little 'summer house' building at the north-west of the field.
By skydriller
@flybymike Thanks, but unfortunately that number gives an "unobtainable" message??

@stevelup Thanks, thats the website I was looking at - planning on visiting the folks in Marlborough next week. Glad they are still operational, presumably as you are so close you would know if they werent!!

Regards, SD..
By kanga
Lower Upham Farm airstrip is fairly close to there, but I don't know its current status nor contact details. I last flew there for a charity fly-in several years ago:

http://www.abct.org.uk/airfields/airfie ... wer-upham/
Last edited by kanga on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Neil MacG
The "Summer House" mentioned above is now occupied by Cotswold Flying School who can be contacted on 01285 610610 (but may not always be available). However as mentioned elsewere PPR is not really required, but if you want to know more about the site you are welcome to PM me for info. (I fly a 172 based there). Security can be a bit of a pain for getting into and out of the airfield since a series of thefts a couple of years ago.
By TheFarmer
Drop into my strip, as long as you don’t crash.

I’m 8 miles from Marlborough. You can borrow a pick up if you don’t mind sitting on bits of tractor.
By Dave W
Lower Upham (Wilts) is still operating, as I frequently hear them on SafetyCom and have a friend (whom I must call soon!) that I know still flies from there.

It's a while since I've been in there but I'm pretty sure it's still open to visitors. On the other side of the Marlborough to Swindon road from Draycott Farm.
By skydriller
@TheFarmer & @Neil MacG Many thanks - you have PMs. :thumleft:
@stevelup A kind offer, thanks, but my folks will be meeting us there.
Kanga & DaveW, Thanks for info, I see 2 possible strips on Google earth, but thanks to the Forum ^^^, Im covered now for visiting the area, though always good to have a back-up idea!

Thanks & Regards, SD..
By pands
If it is a blustery day from the E/SE and you take the southerly runway, watch the building on the right hand side of the runway as the last minute shielding and rotor nearly caught me out once.

It is a lovely little place.
By Iceman
We met SkyDriller and Susan at the vineyard on last week's Bordeaux Saucats fly-in. They were heading for the UK the following day (Sunday) so are probably now on their way back south.

Iceman 8)
By skydriller
Iceman wrote:We met Skydriller and Susan at the vineyard on last week's Bordeaux Saucats fly-in. They were heading for the UK the following day (Sunday) so are probably now on their way back south.

Iceman 8)

Indeed!! Just got back. :thumleft: Draycot Farm is indeed a lovely airstrip, with some interesting based aeroplanes and the runway undulations making it feel slightly like taking off Harrier style using a ski-jump if you time it right!!

Thanks for the thought Dave, sorry to have missed you - but great to meetup with several forumites last weekend, all be it briefly.

Regards, SD..
Dave W liked this