Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By zebedee
Hi All,

Having looked through all the valuable information in the forum I have come to the conclusion that as a holder of a ‘lifetime’ CAA PPL you can (at the moment) do as much training as necessary, and pass the skills test to get an upgrade to a EASA PPL. I believe also that it is possible to revalidate IMC/NIGHT in a similar fashion.
I hold a CAA BCPL which had a 10 year expiry and as far as I know replaced my PPL as opposed to being issued alongside (I had to send the PPL in when I got the BCPL)
Does this mean that this upgrade path to EASA PPL is not open to me? I no longer want the Commercial side of it, just PPL/IMC?
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
zebedee wrote:Hi All,

Having looked through all the valuable information in the forum I have come to the conclusion that as a holder of a ‘lifetime’ CAA PPL you can (at the moment) do as much training as necessary, and pass the skills test to get an upgrade to a EASA PPL

well those who are current with the rating in their lifetime PPLs don't have to do any tests, they need to have sixty-odd quid spare. There was a time when they were trying to replace all the BCPLs with PPLs or CPLs, depending on various things. I very much doubt there was any sort of cutoff which meant you end up with nothing, I suspect if you did a SEP renewal and sent the right paperwork in with the right money, back would come a PPL with an SEP rating in it, and probably with IR/R (name for IMC rating in EASA PPL) as expired (on the back) but it's worth investigating
By Bathman
Did you pass the BCPL or CPL theoretical knowledge? If you did you should be issued with a EASA CPL.

If you got your BCPL issued as grandfather rights because you instructed on a PPL you will be issued a PPL.

I would get an SEP renewal and send it in.

I should add when I sent my paperwork in I got issued a PPL but after I kicked off they issued me a EASA CPL.
Last edited by Bathman on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
By zebedee
Ah thats interesting. I got my BCPL after doing the full CPL exams and the CAAFU flight testing, not on grandfather rights so you implausible I might be able to get the CPL....
By Bathman
Then you are entitled to an EASA CPL. And I know one other person who has done this.

The problem is there is very few CAA staff who have ever heard of the BCPL.

So get that SEP rating renewed and send it all in.