Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

I'm 52 this year. I'm in the midst of a career change from a 30yr IT career. It's never too late for that but is it too late to pursue a childhood dream to fly and work in Aviation? Is it feasible to be a commercial pilot, earning a living from flying, if I start now? Putting time and and money to one side, is it theoretically possible to achieve? What flying jobs might be open to me? And is 65 the limiting age for a commercial pilot?

Lee
Sussex
I’m the same age as you and am working on ATPL theory now but know the limitations my age puts on any sort of commercial career. You need to ask yourself the following questions:
1. Am I doing this for the love of flying or because I want to earn a good living.
2. Am I likely to find the sort of commercial aviation employment I want when an airline would probably prefer a candidate with a long career ahead of them in an entry level position.
3. Are the junior positions I am going to get worth the massive investment to gain licences and ratings I’m willing to make.
4. Starting at 52 you would probably be 54/5 before you ever find yourself in the right seat of an airliner. Single pilot career options start to disappear at 60.
5. Ask yourself if you feel you are able to maintain the level of fitness to pass the initial and maintain a class 1 medical every six months.
I would suggest that starting from scratch at our age you may find the workload takes longer to absorb than for those who did it in their 20’s.
1. Am I doing this for the love of flying or because I want to earn a good living.

Career Fulfillment Sweetspot so both. Boy hood dream.

2. Am I likely to find the sort of commercial aviation employment I want when an airline would probably prefer a candidate with a long career ahead of them in an entry level position.

What commercial aviation position do I want? Do I want to fly airliners or crop dusters or something in between? I don't know yet. I've got 4 hrs in a C42, two trial flights in pipers and I've joined my local gliding club. I love the idea of flying amphibians. So at this stage I'm really open minded.

3. Are the junior positions I am going to get worth the massive investment to gain licences and ratings I’m willing to make.

Is the investment worth it? Will I get it back? Retirement fund?! Is it for the love of it and a humble wage will do?!

4. Starting at 52 you would probably be 54/5 before you ever find yourself in the right seat of an airliner. Single pilot career options start to disappear at 60.

Single pilot options and 60... never thought of that... that reduces the options.

5. Ask yourself if you feel you are able to maintain the level of fitness to pass the initial and maintain a class 1 medical every six months.

With a son in the army and a son and step son who are successful personal trainers this should be the easiest bit to do...
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi

I notice you signed off in your first post as being in Sussex.

As someone who has just been offered a jet job at 53, I’m probably fairly well qualified to answer your question. However there are so many ifs and buts involved it would be easier to discuss over the phone or over a beer if you want to hear all of the good and bad., along with the other options available to you. Drop me a line if you want to discuss in more detail.

To be fair, I’ve been flying full time in a GA role for 6 years and had a PPL since 2004. Things may well change by the time you have a licence.
Well after a fantasic chat and tasty beer or two with Andy ( Thanks Andy) it's a real 50/50 situation but the first step on this new journey is to have my Class 1 medical which will be the deal maker or breaker. Then choose a school and an Instructor. I missed one thing out. A deep and meaningful chat with my wife about financing this mad ambition. I will have to finance the whole thing loans which I'll have to pay off with a slice of my pension!! We'll I can't take it with me and I can't pass it on so if I think about things as a legacy then committing so much to something I love, at this stage of life, with no guarantees, will hopefully say something to the younger generation of those nearest and dearest to me. So I'll give myself 4 years to become an employed commercial pilot by the time I'm 55. And I'll reassess that ambition at every stage. I'll start a new thread to chart my progress along this new journey, once I get a reasonable job with which I can service the short term debt (my practical and sensible wife's insistence). :D
AndyR, GeorgeJLA liked this