Post your pics, videos and vlogs here
By Moli
The Grim Reapers in their single seat F15Cs were due to operate in the loop so I went back for a couple of days this week.
My favourite image is the first one, unfortunately not one of mine (credit Ben Collins) but I did manage to get in his way (far left).

The twin seater is the Reapers Flight Surgeon getting a pax trip...lucky guy :thumleft:

Steve J, mick w, Morten and 2 others liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Moli,

You're obviously a regular at the Mach Loop, and show every signs of knowing what you're doing.

I'm thinking of a trip that way myself, which I've never previously done. I count myself a moderately competent amateur photographically, so hope I could come back with something worth the effort - if not in the class you're achieving.

Can you give some advice to beginners on photographing at the Mach Loop? Or point us at an online guide you rate as worth reading?

G
By Moli
Sorry GtE, only just seen your post.

There are various locations around the loop but for a first time I would suggest Cad west or Cad east, (if you google mach loop there is plenty of info), personally I would avoid the school hols as it is a mad house there at the moment and parking is at a premium.
The local farmers are beginning to get very cheesed off with some people not respecting their land and leaving rubbish, gates open etc so everyone must play ball and leave the hills as they found them.

Camera wise, a DSLR would be best with a 300 mm lens but anything will actually do, you will find both ends of the spectrum there from iPhones to 600mm primes. I personally use a DSLR with a 300 2.8 prime (sometimes with a 1.4TC) for jets and a 70-200mm 2.8 zoom for the larger prop ac.

Make sure you take suitable clothing, even on a summers day it can get cold, you are very exposed up there and the weather can be changeable. Speaking of weather, chose your days with an eye firmly on the forecast, if they cant get VMC before MSA they won't be entering the loop.

Speak to people when you are up there, ask their advice, you will get the odd grumpy sod, but most are willing to help out with tips. Settings wise as a starting point, I would shoot in shutter priority and start at 1250/sec and work down from there to blur the background for jets, for Props you need to be sub 200 to blur the props so try staring from there and work down.

Its great fun and a truly beautiful place...its addictive.

HTH
Moli
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Moli - many thanks, all useful and appreciated.

My weapon of choice is a high end super-zoom bridge, which sounds like it'll do the job. Noted on exposure priority (I confess I mostly set the lowest ISO that seems sensible, then aperture priority and a wide aperture (about 3.4 on mine, it's not that good) for narrow depth of focus, and keep an eye on exposure times - increasing ISO if they're getting too long for taste. On a very good sunny day I work at ISO 80 which is the lowest my Canon will go.

Once upon a time I was a regular Welsh hillwalker - it's definitely going to be an excuse to revisit that aspect of my former life - and I agree totally about respecting other people's land.

G
Moli liked this