Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By adhawkins
Hi all,

When I converted my JAR license to EASA, I didn't tick the 'Also give me a UK PPL' box.

I'm starting to wonder whether that was a mistake, and it may be worthwhile having a UK PPL as well.

Does anyone know what the procedure is for having one of these issued?

Thanks

Andy
PaulB liked this
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No, the tick the box thing was specifically designed to give pilots who had a jaa licence the nationnal licence as well as they got an Easa licence, as the jaa licence was the only one you lost in the conversion process... those with old caa ppls and Nppl never gave up their licences like jaa ones did.
flybymike, ivanmia liked this
By Irv Lee
And my guess, without knowing, but with the usual Yorkshire tenner at stake, is that if you applied later as in this case, they would want you to add a non Easa rating into it as your excuse for getting it.
By tailbob
This is where the situation is complicated.
Many pilots may have an old UK for life PPL, but the rating has not been signed up for years, as the limited duration JAA licence took over.
The advantage of the new format is that it looks the same as an EASA licence and can be signed at the same time as the EASA licence.
Would an Examiner wish to sign a rating in an old licence with the last valid rating twenty years old?
With the advantage now of the UK licence only requiring a medical declaration, it would be helpful if the CAA made new format UK licences easily available to those who only possess the old format.
By Andrew Sinclair
Irv Lee wrote:And my guess, without knowing, but with the usual Yorkshire tenner at stake, is that if you applied later as in this case, they would want you to add a non Easa rating into it as your excuse for getting it.

Yes, I would tend to agree...the Note to CAP 804 Part I Section 5 Subpart 1 clause 3 gives a hint

"Article 62(5) of the ANO renders the EASA PPL(A) to be a valid licence with the same privileges for non-EASA aeroplanes. Consequently a pilot who holds a Part-FCL PPL(A) does not require a UK PPL(A) unless they need to exercise the privileges of a rating that cannot be included in the Part-FCL licence; e.g. a type rating for a non-EASA aeroplane."
By oldbiggincfi
adhawkins wrote:Send an email to the CAA on 19th June, still waiting a reply.

How old are you ? - Posthumously maybe ?

Also thinking about it ,
The Summer six formers :bball: should be starting now to cover for holidays.
That will speed things up :arrow:
By Cookie
Hi all,

When I converted my JAR license to EASA, I didn't tick the 'Also give me a UK PPL' box.

I'm starting to wonder whether that was a mistake, and it may be worthwhile having a UK PPL as well.

Does anyone know what the procedure is for having one of these issued?

Thanks

Andy

You can just contact the UK CAA and ask them to issue a UK national PPL. They may charge you a nominal amount to do this. Any problems feel free to PM me.

ATB Cookie
PaulB liked this
By PaulB
Silly Q but I’m in the same situation as the OP. Is there a form to do this?
By adhawkins
Hi,

Had a response from the CAA. They did at least apologise for the delay in replying!

• Application form SRG1104, this is a generic conversion form that we use for a number of applications so a cover note explaining that you wish to have a UK PPL/CPL/ATPL in addition to your EASA licence would aid your application.
• Fee of £37 (+optional courier fee).
• A certified copy of your EASA licence, this can be certified by a UK examiner, head of training, base captain, chief pilot etc.

I'll be sure to have a colour copy of my black and white licence as the 'certified' copy :)

Andy
By PaulB
adhawkins wrote:
• Application form SRG1104, this is a generic conversion form that we use for a number of applications so a cover note explaining that you wish to have a UK PPL/CPL/ATPL in addition to your EASA licence would aid your application.
• Fee of £37 (+optional courier fee).
• A certified copy of your EASA licence, this can be certified by a UK examiner, head of training, base captain, chief pilot etc.

I'll be sure to have a colour copy of my black and white licence as the 'certified' copy :)

Why do they need a copy of your licence.... They issued it so should know that you have one.... unless it's to confirm ratings (but they should know about those too.)