Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Bathman
Well what I can tell you following this skywise release is that I have had two people on the phone saying that I had ripped them off.

One NPPL(SSEA) holder did microlight training followed by a skills test and has applied for a microlight rating. With other person reporting something similar.

As it turns out the CAA got thir own regulation wrong and AOPA haven't really done anything to say they got it wrong.

Same old, same old
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bathman wrote:Well what I can tell you following this skywise release is that I have had two people on the phone saying that I had ripped them off.

As it turns out the CAA got thir own regulation wrong and AOPA haven't really done anything to say they got it wrong.

Same old, same old

That is terrible but exactly what I expected- i don't think either AOPA or the CAA understand what we have to sort out and argue through at the sharp end and how often. Clearly someone in the CAA believed what was written, and it appears from derogatory comments here AOPA thinks the original wording is quite acceptable. I had something very similar to you when the CAA told a pilot that had expired both sep and tmg ratings that I could have signed his tmg rating when i renewed his sep in a pa28. Not true, (they only link through reval by experience) and he wasn't nasty about it when he challenged me later when the caa told him i could have renewed both in one sep test but it was another unpaid half day wasted for me until both caa and he agreed that i was correct.
@oldbiggincfi regarding your musing about the need for a microlight test, would you believe there are those who have recency with years and hundreds of hours on microlights by using differences training on sep for microlights have to do a test to get a microlight rating issued?
By Cookie
The Skywise release was issued as a result of an exchange I had with the CAA behind the scenes some weeks ago. There has been no change to the existing regulation. To clear up any misunderstanding:

Differences and Familiarisation Training
In order to fly any new type or variant within the Single-Engine Piston (SEP) class, you must complete either differences training or familiarisation training. Differences training requires both ground and flight training and must be endorsed as having been completed by a suitably qualified Flight Instructor or Class Rating Instructor.

Differences training requires the acquisition of additional knowledge and training on an appropriate training device or the aircraft. Familiarisation training requires the acquisition of additional knowledge, either through self-study of appropriate material such as the Pilot Operating Handbook, or training with a suitably qualified instructor.

Differences training required under EASA regulation and the UK Air Navigation Order are: turbo-charged or super-charged engines, variable pitch and constant speed propellers, tailwheel undercarriage, retractable undercarriage, cabin pressurisation, EFIS, single power lever control (SPLC), and microlights. Additionally, for the UK National Private Pilot's Licence (NPPL) SSEA class rating, differences training is required for aeroplanes with a cruise speed in excess of 140 knots indicated airspeed.

Pilots holding a UK NPPL with SSEA class rating must obtain a microlight class rating before acting as PIC; differences training for microlights is applicable to the SEP class rating entered in EASA and UK PPLs, not the SSEA class rating.

Whilst differences training with an instructor is mandatory, we also recommend you receive ground and flight training with an instructor for familiarisation training. All LAA coaches are either FI or CRI, and most have completed all differences themselves applicable to LAA types, so can complete your differences training or familiarisation training.

EASA PPL or UK PPL with SEP class rating
In order to fly microlights using an EASA PPL or UK PPL with a valid SEP class rating, you must have completed differences training in a microlight with a suitably qualified instructor and had that training endorsed in your logbook.

UK PPL or NPPL with SSEA class rating
For holders of a SSEA class rating, in order to act as PIC in a microlight you must have completed the training and testing specified in the 'Allowances against training' document, available to view or download on the NPPL website and in CAP 804 Section 5 Part A Appendix 1, and had the microlight class rating added to your NPPL. Differences training in the same way as an EASA PPL or UK PPL with SEP class rating is not permitted. Each class rating on a NPPL is mutually exclusive.

FAQ to be added to the NPPL website:

Can I fly a microlight using a NPPL with SSEA class rating by completing microlight differences training with an instructor?
Pilots holding a UK NPPL with SSEA class rating must obtain a microlight class rating before acting as PIC in microlights in accordance with the UK Air Navigation Order (ANO) and the 'Allowances against training' document found on this website. Differences training for microlights is applicable to the SEP class rating entered in EASA and UK PPLs, not the SSEA class rating.

Cookie
By Cookie
I was also very surprised 2 weeks ago or so to be told 2nd hand via a caa email to someone that an Sep rating in a UK ppl can be renewed by prof check in a microlight!

That's incorrect.

Cookie