Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Interest on a loan at 3.1% would be sub £47,000. How many aircraft would you need to sell hangarage to in order to cover that? In that part of the world probably 30 or so. Then there are additional income sources. Buildings rental, tie-downs, caravan storage etc. All going to pay off the loan. I'm talking myself into it here.
They are large hangars too, having in the past housed Whirlwinds, Wessex, S-76 and the like. The small hangar on the right angled bend close to the Greyhound Stadium used to be the one that housed the Anglian Air Charter pleasure flight aircraft. Last time I drove past, it had been used for storage and re-skinned but the sliding doors had been replaced with hinged doors.
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Joe Dell wrote:Interest on a loan at 3.1% would be sub £47,000. How many aircraft would you need to sell hangarage to in order to cover that? In that part of the world probably 30 or so. Then there are additional income sources. Buildings rental, tie-downs, caravan storage etc. All going to pay off the loan. I'm talking myself into it here.

Go on, do it. I'll pitch in a fiver.

But I want free landings.
Highland Park wrote:They are large hangars too, having in the past housed Whirlwinds, Wessex, S-76 and the like.

Ah, brownfield. That means I could put a nice house on it and have an "invitation only" private strip. Qualifier would probably be at least 50 forum posts. :wink:

.... and a donation of £1.5m. :lol:
Nick liked this
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not sure of the catchment area to fill those hangars either with aircraft or other stuff. Problem with coastal locations - you only have 50% of a circle - Manston worse.

My bet would be some housing, some GA and something else. If I get an answer to the "something else" I'd be tempted.
rats404 liked this
Joe Dell wrote:Interest on a loan at 3.1% would be sub £47,000. How many aircraft would you need to sell hangarage to in order to cover that?

And then there's the business rates of around £50K........payable even if you are not doing anything useful with it all. And don't forget insurance - have you seen the cost of hangarkeeper's these days?.........
I'm not sure those hangars are terribly useful to GA. They might have a use for other types of business; warehousing, indoor trampolining etc, but would be a bugger to heat.
I thought it might make a great fly-in community - build a couple of rows of "second homes" with hangars each side of the runway. They are doing it all over the place for people with watery hobbies so why not flyers? Can't see the local authority going for it and the waiting/arguing period of planning and building would probably bankrupt the operation before it got going.
Life's too short.
Charliesixtysix liked this