Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Restriction of Flying Regs now published for the Air Tattoo. :thumleft:

Different for this year is the RAF100 flypast covered in the second document. Note all the "no aircraft is to fly" remarks!

Main AIC.

RAF100 Flypast AIC.

Update from The Admin Team:
The links above will likely expire and stop working shortly.
The documents are in the Mauve section of the AICs: http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... id=59.html
The Main RIAT AIC is M 50/2018
The RAF100 Flypast AIC is M 51/2018
Last edited by JonnyS on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member

It's quite a chunk of the country, so definitely something to watch out for even if the periods for which it is active are short.

As an aside, I do think that these complex airspace restriction AICs (both in words and images) are impressively clear and concise. Having on a few occasions done something similar (on a much, much smaller scale) that's not as easy an achievement as we might think. I suspect that ratman, who sometimes posts here, has much to do with that.
By johnm
Since we live just North of a line joining Kemble and Fairford we'll doubtless see a certain amount of traffic. Unusually we'll actually be around, but I think an early departure to London for the Prom on Sunday evening might be wise :-)
By Dave W
For completeness, as well as the RAF100 image above - and remember that you need to read the whole AIC to get the details: these images are intended to aid awareness - here are the main Restrictions for RIAT:

Setup and show days (Tue 10 - Sun 15 July):
Departure day (Mon 16 July):
JonnyS liked this
We're pleased to have another first at RIAT :D

The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has announced a series of airspace restrictions to accommodate the transatlantic flight of a General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc built SkyGuardian Remotely Piloted Aircraft flying into RAF Fairford, Gloucestershire. The civilian aircraft, which is certificated and registered through the US regulator the Federal Aviation Administration, has been issued permission to operate within UK airspace by the UK CAA. The flight will take place on one day during week commencing 9 July 2018.

Full update here.
JonnyS wrote:The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has announced a series of airspace restrictions to accommodate the transatlantic flight of a General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc built SkyGuardian Remotely Piloted Aircraft flying into RAF Fairford, Gloucestershire. The civilian aircraft, which is certificated and registered through the US regulator the Federal Aviation Administration, has been issued permission to operate within UK airspace by the UK CAA. The flight will take place on one day during week commencing 9 July 2018.

Its one of these to lookout for.

neilmurg wrote:Well, they're in the sky but they don't guard the sky. They monitor and remotely assault ground targets.
I say that without prejudice, but Sky Guardian? Call a spade an earth inverting implement

Have a read of this: http://aviationintel.com/predator-vs-fo ... ecade-ago/

The MQ-1 Predator so very nearly bagged a MiG 25 Foxbat. Sadly the Stinger they fired guided to the massive heat plume behind the Foxbat, but if it had a Sidewinder or even better an ASRAAM then I am sure the result would have been different. :thumleft:

'so very nearly bagged a...' = missed
But presumably you're missing the point on purpose. The technology has amazing capability, but in order to forward our political objectives we have to understand and negotiate with our neighbours. Killing them with less involvement doesn't help that. I believe that British armed forces understand that, but the whoop-whoop! yee-hah! response is , I would submit, missing the point.
I'm not saying that that is your position gaz, I'm saying 'let's not forget what the point is, the point is, work out a deal, everyone gets to go home' ideally.