Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Alopez17
Just a quick question, would any of you that have already gone through with training recommend enrolling in these airliners future pilot programmes even though they’re quite expensive or would you say normal flights school are fine. Thanks!!
huseyydemm, carlapilot liked this
By Gentoo
Aren't they paid for by a loan that is paid back if you work for them for a number of years?

If so then either you progress and someone else pays the cost, or you don't, Be have to pay it back.

..which you would have to do anyway if you organised it all yourself.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There are insurance schemes that will cover you if you fail to complete the course. - for some schemes the insurance is expected / required. Read the small print.

Most of the schemes require the loan to be backed by someone or something (for example, a parent's house) although not all - sometimes the airlines will back the loan (but again - you may need to pay back more via salary in the long run, paying the airline for the risk they took on you). Read the small print.

Some schemes will include the training and board, but not food, uniform, travel. Read the small print.

With the loans that are loaded on you, you will be essentially forced to remain with a sponsoring airline for many years, with your salary heavily docked to pay them off, being sent wherever the airline wants you, for the first part of your career. First officer take home pay is not big for the first few years.

Most pilots who go to the airlines go though these schemes - it is much easier to get a job at the end of training via a sponsored scheme. Only a few unlucky people have got burnt by them (one of the larger training providers folded a few years, leaving many people in the lurch).

The schemes generally end up with you getting an MPL and perhaps a Type Rating. This (ironically) doesn't let you fly small aircraft after you've finished (you don't automatically get PPL or CPL privileges or an SEP rating) . Some providers allow you to get that as well. Ask them & read the small print.

Oh yes - did I say again - Read the small print. You may have to ask for the small print to read.
By carlapilot
be very careful with big loans :o

Alopez17 wrote:Just a quick question, would any of you that have already gone through with training recommend enrolling in these airliners future pilot programmes even though they’re quite expensive or would you say normal flights school are fine. Thanks!!
By Alopez17
Thanks to everyone, you answers were very helpful. I agree that the cost makes them a bit risky even if they guarantee a job and would make it very hard to ever change company if I ever needed to. My plan was always to go through the traditional flight school path but I just wandered what people in the industry made of these future pilot schemes that airlines offer. Thanks! :D
carlapilot liked this
By Delta Echo
Airlner programms are who helps you get a very big amount of bank credit, and you still need to pay back in the first some years of your first officer job?
By carlapilot
a guaranteed job its something!!
go for it :)

Alopez17 wrote:Thanks to everyone, you answers were very helpful. I agree that the cost makes them a bit risky even if they guarantee a job and would make it very hard to ever change company if I ever needed to. My plan was always to go through the traditional flight school path but I just wandered what people in the industry made of these future pilot schemes that airlines offer. Thanks! :D
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There are other (cheaper) ways for those with maturity and patience.

I've always found pilots who followed the self improver or modular routesinteresting to be more rounded, better pilots than sausage factory products. But then again I've never endured the to-and-fro tedium of only a couple of routes.

Horses for courses.