Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi Guys! I 've just started flying and filling out my logbook after instruction flights... I keep my logbook in the flightschool and always photograph for safety.
but I want to have a digital copy in my phone / in the cloud. For safety (if it get lost) and to make statistics and calculating hours easier.

I've checked some apps but Im a beginner so please let me know what you use?? What I saw its mostly for airliner pilots not for simple flights... wasting time to fill out. I really want something easy for mobile, but not an excel.
My instructor is not into digital stuff...his 10000+ flights are in paper logbooks but he is retired army pilot :)
Thx
Carla
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Day to day I use a spreadsheet on the same tablet as my Skydemon ......... then every few months I write it out into a nice traditional log book to gather appropriate signatures.

Why a spreadsheet instead of a fancy online thing? - primarily because it works offline, and sometimes the tablet is offline ..... then it syncs back to the cloud next time it's connected.
carlapilot liked this
By FlightDek
carlapilot wrote:... I keep my logbook in the flightschool and always photograph for safety.

Just wondering why you keep it at the school. I keep mine at home. Your logbook is personal to you. Saying that, mine's currently on its way to the CAA so God knows where it will end up :lol:

I also use the FlightLog app on Android for a digital. Seems to do what I want and easy to run queries and export to .xls or .pdf

Dek
carlapilot liked this
By T67M
Another vote for logbook.aero. I had a paper logbook when I started flying nearly 20 years ago, but it is now several years out of date. My electronic logbook has all my flights, including GPS logs since I started using SkyDemon, and all signatures from instructors/examiners as appropriate.
By davelee212
I primarily use my paper logbook. Despite being "an IT person" I quite like keeping it in the little blue book. I do occasionally copy things into a spreadsheet I keep on the computer. Maybe I'll have a look at logbook.aero at some point.

Dave
By Morten
I have made my own little database. Sometimes I like to play around with the data and e.g. look for 'when is the last I have ever landed' and 'which day of the week have a done the most landings on', 'which letter of the alphabet do most of my airfields start with' and similar pointless queries.

However, I also keep an actual paper book which will have coffee stains, entries which have been corrected, different pens etc. The slightly shaky handwriting after my first solo, the scribble from the chap I flew my first open cockpit biplane (thank you, David !) ... all of which make your logbook much more personal and something you will leaf through and treasure.

So I keep both - it's not necessarily sensible and certainly not efficient, but I fly for a hobby and enjoy the many quirky things I end up doing as a result :-)

Morten
T67M, huseyydemm, Cessna57 liked this
By Melanie Moxon
I have a traditional blue book, there is something nice about writing the information in the logbook with a pen. I scan my logbook pages when they are full (or gain a signature) to use as backup evidence should my flying logbook ever be lost.

I do keep a spreadsheet with all the flight information in as it gives me at a glance:
Total hours, hours flown this callendar year, hours in each aircraft type, night hours, cross country hours etc.
huseyydemm, Cessna57 liked this
I use both.

There is something aesthetically very pleasing about keeping a paper logbook, being able to browse through itb actually get signatures and stickers in it, and so-on.

On the other hand, an electronic logbook is easy to back up, printouts can get sent to CAA without worrying about the disaster of it getting lost in the post. And it can automatically track hours on type, currency and so on.

So I do both. As it happens, both I designed myself - the electronic logbook in Excel, and the paper logbook to my satisfaction then printed and bound. But, there are clearly lots of excellent commercial versions of both.

G
Birds of a feather :D

I, too, designed my own logbook using Excel 1.0 :shock: I've tweaked it as time has passed so that I can use the database-type functions of searches etc.

I also keep a written logbook because the OCD side of me won't let me stop. I had to combine my military and civilian logbooks years ago but at least now everything is all together and all agrees with the electronic version......much better than my rithmatic.
carlapilot liked this
I had about a thousand hours when I transcribed mine - it was a biggish job, but actually a lot of fun. I was surprised just how much I could remember about each flight - something significant about roughly a third of them. And, thankfully, you'll only ever do it once.

G
By WelshRichy
I've recently copied my paper logbooks into an application I have written myself (C# ASP.NET Core & SQL) and like Genghis the Engineer it is amazing what one can remember from even twenty years ago.

Just need to ensure I keep my SQL database backed up as it's my only source whilst my logbooks are away on a god knows how long a holiday at the good old CAA.

Just creating some summary pages for hours each year, aircraft flown, airfields visited etc.

Eventually I'm looking to have my old photos tagged to each flight but that's work in progress (actually, not started yet).

Doing this as a personal project to teach myself ASP.net Core.
By Paul_Sengupta
TopCat wrote:Paper here... though I wish I had an electronic version. As I'm about to start on my third book, that's a hell of a lot of transcribing to do...

Periodically I photograph the pages as a backup.

Same here. Does anyone know of any freely available OCR software which will scan logbook photos/scans and create some sort of CSV or spreadsheet file from it?