Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulB
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Yep, just use "for non EASA" or such.

As stated earlier in the thread, that bit looks like it's just for statistics gathering, and a declaration is a declaration, you're not really declaring the exact use of it as far as I understand it.

Absolutely....

If you were declaring against a specific type (you're not, but if you were) and that type was an EASA type, then presumably the self dec would lapse when the ORS4 exemption lapses. That would be silly.

People need to just fill the flipping form in and go flying..... (and that applies to me as much as anyone on here.)
By PaulB
Fabulous..... Now I need to do it.

If I don't do something soon, I may never fly again, and that would be bad, wouldn't it? :shock:
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That's not the declaration part. The declaration part is that you're say that you are fit to fly, meeting the medical criteria therein.

The rest is just information.
By PaulB
Charley Farley wrote:A permanent record of a false declaration then.........

I really don't know why you're so hung up on this.

I have an EASA PPL so could self declare to allow me to fly a non-EASA aircraft. There would be nothing false about that declaration. I have declared that I am medically fit to fly.

I've never flown a non-EASA aircraft, but now that I've made the declaration I now can go and find a non-EASA type and fly it.

However, there's also a temporary extension to the self dec rules that now allows (subject to the restrictions contained in the exemption) me to also use the self dec to also fly an EASA type.

Just do it and go flying......
flybymike, trapdoor liked this
By nkt2000
Here is a query. My Class 2 is due this month and I have an appointment with my AME for renewal. I think I still need this as I am doing my IR(R) rating next month.
However, does the panel think it would be worth getting a declaration anyway. Not sure why but hoping someone else may have a theory on this.
By FlarePath
It's a no-brainer really, just do it anyway even if you have a Class I and fly A380's, if it all goe's tits up in the future there may be some "Grandfather rights" around for those with a bit of foresight?
By Charley Farley
The medical declaration states:

"The Medical Declaration is an affirmation of your medical fitness to fly and to exercise the privileges of either a:
•EU Part- Flight Crew Licensing (FCL) Private Pilot Licence (PPL) to fly non-EASA aircraft,
•EU Part-FCL Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (LAPL) to fly non-EASA aircraft,

etc"

also:

"This medical declaration is not valid to fly aircraft for which you require a pilot’s licence issued under EASA Annex I (Part-Flight Crew Licensing (FCL)), either a PPL or LAPL, of Commission Regulation (EU) No.1178/2011. This means you may not fly an aircraft that holds an EASA certificate of airworthiness or permit to fly unless you hold a Part-FCL Licence and appropriate medical for that aircraft at the time of the flight."

Seems pretty clear to me.
They need to amend the wording or you are declaring something incorrectly.
By PaulB
I give up.....

yes, you make that declaration and it allows exactly what you say.

.... but then there's a later ORS4 that relaxes the limits and allows the use of EASA aircraft.

I can see exactly why they haven't amended the website to take account of a temporary provision.

There are a few RA(T)s around in the next few weeks. They aren't on your chart (and no new chart will be produced for them) but they're real.
trapdoor, flybymike liked this