For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Thanks Jonathan, will take a look. Wasn’t aware of that one as an EV or hybrid.

There are some fuel efficient ICEs out there. Have put about 1,000 miles on a Merc A180D in the last couple of weeks and the consumption has been impressive. It’s just a shame that the UX designer seems to have been on leave when they designed it. Who on earth thought it a good idea to tuck the handbrake away down there???
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Date--------Miles ------Galls----MPG ----Price
5/7/17----1,178.00---9.045---130.24---4.569

There must be a maths problem in the summary then as £4.569 per gallon - at 4.55 litres per 1gal = £1.004/litre

Or have I misread the table ?
By JonathanB
Flying_john wrote:Date--------Miles ------Galls----MPG ----Price
5/7/17----1,178.00---9.045---130.24---4.569

There must be a maths problem in the summary then as £4.569 per gallon - at 4.55 litres per 1gal = £1.004/litre

Or have I misread the table ?

I think you're seeing it in the default US units (so wrong gallons) - there is a drop down top left to change to UK (or various other units).
By JonathanB
Leodisflyer wrote:Thanks Jonathan, will take a look. Wasn’t aware of that one as an EV or hybrid.

The IONIQ comes in three varieties: Hybrid, Plug-in Hybrid and EV. I have the plug-in on a three year lease until November 2020 - hoping that I might switch to a full EV (not necessarily an Ioniq) then if there are more charging facilities around to make it mire practical!
Leodisflyer liked this
By cockney steve
@JonathanB said
hoping that I might switch to a full EV (not necessarily an Ioniq) then if there are more charging facilities around to make it mire practical!

Spot on! you're definitely" in the mire " :wink: with any pure EV on a long trip, where a charging point becomes inoperative or occupied in the interim. :?
By cockney steve
cockney steve wrote:@JonathanB said
hoping that I might switch to a full EV (not necessarily an Ioniq) then if there are more charging facilities around to make it mire practical!

Spot on! you're currently" in the mire " :wink: (see what I did there) with any pure EV on a long trip, where a charging point becomes inoperative or occupied in the interim. :?
I can’t see a situation where we would have just one car in the forseeable future so less concerned about range and availability of charging points.

More concerned about speed of tech change. History tells us that disruptive innovations can suddenly take off. Lease would be preferred option for a while. The depreciation of old tech (ICE, hybrid and early EV) could go through the roof. With a lease you can make an open decision.
That concerns me too..... I think that ICE trade in values will suddenly fall off a cliff edge (and in not so many years.)

Leasing is the way presumably as that places the risk on the manufacturer?
That's my understanding. Depends on whether it's personal or business.

Haven't seen much in the way of pure lease options for personal purchases, but a PCPs with minimal deposits can be had and I believe that you can walk away at the end of the lease (or a bit before depending on how you structure it). Benefit of a low deposit being that you are risking less of your own money. Downside is the increased interest payment. Not much of an issue with cheap credit, but that's likely to change too.

PCPs have come in for flack as the next debt time-bomb, but I struggle to see the problem as long as you view the,m as a pure rental agreement. Maybe the issue is people expecting to have some equity at the end(?)

It's likely that most of us will be leasing on some form of pay per mile basis once driverless electrics come in anyway.
By cockney steve
^^^^^^^^ and then all the "smaller"/ slower manufacturers go bust and the remainder have a monopoly (and the'll be ransomed by Musk who seems to be trying to corner the battery -supply)....which leaves EV lovers in a very precarious position.. Preserve your IC car now!