The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Lerk
I realised later that although the bridges were out of stock, the full units were available... So I bought one of them instead!

Tried it out on Saturday and I was very impressed with the lack of fuss, although I still need to work out how to get the audio alerts into the intercom without hardwiring as my little amplified speaker was lost amongst the cockpit noise and Skydemon didn't seem to pass through Mode C/S contacts.
By PaulSS
What headset do you have?

If you have one with Bluetooth, then plug a BT transmitter into the 3.5mm jack and pair it to your headset.

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B01EHSX28M/ref=pd_sim_107_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01EHSX28M&pd_rd_r=MCNSRNM9GPQ10W3YPTBN&pd_rd_w=zUQ8l&pd_rd_wg=3zYr4&psc=1&refRID=MCNSRNM9GPQ10W3YPTBN

If you don't have BT but do have an auxiliary jack, then plug a 3.5mm lead into the PAW and the other end of the lead into your headset aux jack.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Premium-Auxiliary-Headphones-iPhones/dp/B00R124LAK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1524566348&sr=1-4&keywords=3.5mm+male+to+male

Or, combine the two above: BT transmitter into the PAW 3.5mm plug. BT receiver into the headset aux plug. i.e. buy two of the units in the link above......or similar

If you don't have any of those then look at the replies you received on the PAW Forum.

I think you're going to be hard-pushed to use the intercom option without wires getting involved, be it in a separate intercom box or one integral to the radio.
By Lerk
...and for those interested, here are a couple of photos of my setup.
Hiding behind the ipad on the coaming of a TB200.

My next plan is to try and integrate the sound into the intercom or failing that just into my headset, with only standard headset connections.

EDIT: Aha, a Pilotaware forum user!
As a bit of background, I did Electronic engineering at college many years ago, so once I work out a few values I should be capable of knocking up a circuit to let me connect.
I don't mind having a pair of wires to a circuit box included in my 'package' if it gives me a good result.
I've probably got the necessary adaptors to split into the speaker circuit as suggested for the next outing.
By Lerk
[url=https://ibb.co/kQKw4H]
Paul_Sengupta wrote:One thing, I wouldn't mount the PilotAware too close to the iPad. The Wifi doesn't like really short distances.

Oh, interesting!
It performed OK on Saturday, but will bear that in mind.
Is that why they've made the WiFi power configurable then?
By leemoore1966
Lerk wrote:...Skydemon didn't seem to pass through Mode C/S contacts.

Do you mean the list of Mode C/S contacts on the traffic page ?
If so, bear in mind that Mode C/S contacts are only passed to the navigation display when they meet whatever the selected criteria
- Sensitivity
- Vertical difference

So although the Traffic page will display a Mode-C contact lets say at 1800ft above, this will only be considered if your Vertical settings are greater than or equal to the +/-2000ft setting
Also the signal strength is also taken into consideration before sending to the NAV device, again, even though it is shown in the traffic table.

If the selected criteria are met, a Spoken warning will be issued, and a message passed to the navigation device.

Finally in order to get a visual on the navigation device, SkyDemon, EasyVFR etc must also be enabled to display 'Bearingless Targets'

Thx
Lee
By leemoore1966
Lerk wrote:...Is that why they've made the WiFi power configurable then?

This was introduced because of issues with some android devices, Apple tend to perform without any issues of proximity
Thx
Lee
By Lerk
leemoore1966 wrote:
Lerk wrote:...Skydemon didn't seem to pass through Mode C/S contacts.

Do you mean the list of Mode C/S contacts on the traffic page ?
If so, bear in mind that Mode C/S contacts are only passed to the navigation display when they meet whatever the selected criteria
- Sensitivity
- Vertical difference

So although the Traffic page will display a Mode-C contact lets say at 1800ft above, this will only be considered if your Vertical settings are greater than or equal to the +/-2000ft setting
Also the signal strength is also taken into consideration before sending to the NAV device, again, even though it is shown in the traffic table.

If the selected criteria are met, a Spoken warning will be issued, and a message passed to the navigation device.

Finally in order to get a visual on the navigation device, SkyDemon, EasyVFR etc must also be enabled to display 'Bearingless Targets'

Thx
Lee

We didn't encounter any contacts that were any sort of a threat, but they did display on SkyDemon.
When in the circuit at Halfpenny Green, we did start to hear the warnings coming from the speaker (bearingless contacts) but still didn't get any display on SkyDemon.

I'll double check settings but we were running two instances of Skydemon, one iOS and one Android... I'm fairly certain that my iOS was set to alert if the ISS passed overhead (okay not quite, but I had the alert settings very high!).

Am I right in thinking there should be a similar klaxon and banner alert to an airspace warning from SkyDemon if there is a bearingless or threat detected? We can normally hear those no problem.
By leemoore1966
Lerk wrote:We didn't encounter any contacts that were any sort of a threat, but they did display on SkyDemon.

I was specifically referring to Mode C/S Bearingless targets, I think you are referring to GPS Positioned targets ?

When in the circuit at Halfpenny Green, we did start to hear the warnings coming from the speaker (bearingless contacts) but still didn't get any display on SkyDemon.

In which case I am guessing you do not have Bearingless Targets enabled in SkyDemon

...Am I right in thinking there should be a similar klaxon and banner alert to an airspace warning from SkyDemon if there is a bearingless or threat detected? We can normally hear those no problem.

For GPS Positioned targets, I think SkyDemon has its own collision detection algorithm, this will sound if it determines you are in a potential conflict
For Bearingless targets, the klaxon is based upon a message sent from PilotAware to SkyDemon with a threat level 3, accompanied by an Audio message directly from PilotAware, eg 'Danger, traffic 300ft Above'
This is based upon the settings described earlier - Sensitivity & Relative height

Thx
Lee
By leemoore1966
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
flybymike wrote:Any idea how many units are out there now?
...Think it is a closely guarded secret - I asked the same in a post some months back, no reply.

Hi Dutch
We have refrained from communicating anything related to sales, it seems to sadly cause upset in some members, which in turn causes us much more grief than it could possibly be worth, I am also reminded by the Forum rules, stated before posting

Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.

Thx
Lee
By Lerk
leemoore1966 wrote:
Lerk wrote:We didn't encounter any contacts that were any sort of a threat, but they did display on SkyDemon.

I was specifically referring to Mode C/S Bearingless targets, I think you are referring to GPS Positioned targets ?

In which case I am guessing you do not have Bearingless Targets enabled in SkyDemon

...Am I right in thinking there should be a similar klaxon and banner alert to an airspace warning from SkyDemon if there is a bearingless or threat detected? We can normally hear those no problem.

For GPS Positioned targets, I think SkyDemon has its own collision detection algorithm, this will sound if it determines you are in a potential conflict
For Bearingless targets, the klaxon is based upon a message sent from PilotAware to SkyDemon with a threat level 3, accompanied by an Audio message directly from PilotAware, eg 'Danger, traffic 300ft Above'
This is based upon the settings described earlier - Sensitivity & Relative height

Thanks for the detailed response Lee, I'll triple check the settings and try again.
I'm also wondering if (as I know has happened before) my iPad had slid in its cradle and hit the Volume down button... hence no audio alerts from it. I'm 99% sure I checked the box for bearingless targets.
TBH with the other tablet in front, I don't think I actually looked at my ipad in the back whilst in the circuit - it was pretty busy on arrival and a go-around meant plenty of lookout was required!

Will I still get alerts if I configure as a ground station for testing?
By PaulSS
Hiding behind the ipad on the coaming of a TB200.

There's yer problem mate. You've broken the space-time continuum and haven't been invented yet. Well, it's either that or you're missing a load of numbers from your radios; I think some of them have fallen out :D

Seriously, good luck with your mixer board and make sure you show us the result, either here or over there.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
leemoore1966 wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
flybymike wrote:Any idea how many units are out there now?
...Think it is a closely guarded secret - I asked the same in a post some months back, no reply.

Hi Dutch
We have refrained from communicating anything related to sales, it seems to sadly cause upset in some members, which in turn causes us much more grief than it could possibly be worth, I am also reminded by the Forum rules, stated before posting

Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.

Thx
Lee

:D

Funny.

Think the number of units out there is exactly the sort of technical information one needs to decide which EC to go for.
By leemoore1966
Flyin'Dutch' wrote: :D
Funny.
Think the number of units out there is exactly the sort of technical information one needs to decide which EC to go for.

Hi Dutch
I think there is probably more to this kind of decision than pure arithmetic, although your point is undoubtedly valid, so referring back to the nub of your question, let me ask:-

What number of units would be the tipping point for you to go for PilotAware ?

Additionally:-

What was the criteria that brought you to that specific figure ?

Thx
Lee
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
leemoore1966 wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote: :D
Funny.

Hi Dutch
I think there is probably more to this kind of decision than pure arithmetic, although your point is undoubtedly valid, so referring back to the nub of your question, let me ask:-

What number of units would be the tipping point for you to go for PilotAware ?

Additionally:-

What was the criteria that brought you to that specific figure ?

Thx
Lee

a) If PAW did ADS-B out (even with SIL=0) no critical number as it would allow me to get most of what I want (FLARM without the need to use ground stations would be a bonus)

b) I don't have a preconceived number in my head, see above, but think that half of the GA spectrum would be a good starting point.

Why have I not bought a PAW yet:

1. I think it is as important to be able to be 'seen' is as important to be able to 'see`
2. therefore units that transmit only on the PAW frequency are maybe not a problem for me, as I have a TXPDR, but the principle of having a frequency which is not used by other EC is not right (my personal view)
3. The initial units were kits which were well beyond my technical ability - maybe not the physical sticking together but 'programming' side certainly seemed to be that way
4. The 'spread' across the GA spectrum appears to be fairly limited and mainly across the UK; add to that the notion from various threads that a fair few folks had bought the kit for it be relinquished to the drawer after a few flights with it.
5. A fair bit of my flying is outside the UK and in environments were FLARM is widespread in use; never yet seen a PAW in 'the wild'