To discuss anything which relates to the FLYER Airportal or the magazine
JonathanB wrote:I just had a play with the auto-donk... unfortunately it isn't based on regular expressions and you cannot 'escape' the wildcard so that it just matches one asterisk rather than any number of any character. It also matches the wildcard before any alpha numeric characters it seems.

Have you tried the '?' instead of the '*'?

'?' is a common code for "match single character" when "*" means "match a sequence of characters".

Just a thought ;-)
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
davef77 wrote:
JonathanB wrote:I just had a play with the auto-donk... unfortunately it isn't based on regular expressions and you cannot 'escape' the wildcard so that it just matches one asterisk rather than any number of any character. It also matches the wildcard before any alpha numeric characters it seems.

Have you tried the '?' instead of the '*'?

'?' is a common code for "match single character" when "*" means "match a sequence of characters".

Just a thought ;-)

Doubt it will work ....... looking at the source code of phpbb, it is using regex internally to evaluate the 'word censor' ....... but it escapes the word, and then unescapes * only ....... :
Code: Select all   // Unescape the asterisk to simplify further conversions
   $word = str_replace('\*', '*', preg_quote($word, '#'));

So whilst it would be perfectly capable of handling a regex match, for whatever reason they've dumbed it down to only allow * wildcards.
By Cessna57
I find it the efforts to workaround the autodonk here hilariously ironic and a very positive illustration of the difference between the Flyer forum and the rest of the Internet.

Why?

Because no one is trying to get round the autodonk to post rude words.

On the contrary, everyone is working out ways to post the word feedback.

i.e.

feed back
fe edback

:lol:

No one is interested in using the word **** !!!!
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The auto donk is sea birded.

(history - for those who don't date from a few years ago on the forum - someone, I think it was Keef, got the auto donk to replace the word "shag" with "sea bird". So for all C57s "work arounds", it actually because part of the forum vernacular. Rather than saying something was broken, people kept saying it was sea birded. Which mightily confused those who weren't around at the time...but it continued to be said after that particular auto donk was removed)
kanga liked this
I still don't understand, because I'm thick. Someone created this software...therefore the software can be changed. Keef or not, who has control now, eh?

(and by the way, shag is a type of tobacco and also the nickname my Mother calls my Father...something to do with Spanish)