Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hello Everyone,

Earlier this year I decided this year is the year I take up flying once again and will be completing my EASA Class 2 Medical next month.

To the point of this post and that is a renewal of my SEP Class Rating which expired on 17/09/2006.
I was, however, flying G-Registered SEP aircraft as P1 using my then valid FAA CPL/IR with my last P1 flight on 25/7/2011, that was in a TB9 at Fife in which I had a share back then. I have a UK CAA PPL(A), the life-long version pre-JAA (just snuck in with one of these) and on the licence I have Night and IMC Ratings with the later expiring on 24/08/2005, total flight time is slightly under 700 hours.

I have been looking at what I require from various sources including the CAA/CAP804 etc. and hope it is as follows once I have gained my EASA Class 2 medical, please can someone point out if I have missed the glaringly obvious?

I presume holding a lifetime UK PPL(A) and not an EASA PPL(A) will still enable me to renew my SEP class rating after 8th April as long as I convert to an EASA PPL(A) at the same time as applying to the CAA for the SEP Class Rating Renewal?

1. Speak with CFI/Head of Training to determine how much re-training I will require, I hope it isn’t too much but expecting the worse! I’m hoping it’s a case of, “let us have a quick flight to see how rusty you are and go from there”.

2. As far as I am aware there is no requirement to sit theoretical examinations although I am already studying to ensure my theoretical knowledge is up to scratch (I am aware there has been changes over the past few years, i.e. VFR at Night is now a thing).

3. Pay lots of money for the re-training and once the ATO are satisfied they will issue the Course Completion Certificate (SRG1119D).

4. Pass an SEP Class Rating Renewal proficiency test with a suitable Examiner, requirements laid out in Standards Document 14, Version 7 and SRG1157 Form. This test is different to the initial Licence Skills Test (i.e. PPL Skills Test, SRG2128) but will still tax my grey matter/(lack-of-)flying abilities to the limit!

5. Hopefully the examiner will realise I’m a native Englisher Speaker and will sign-off Level 6 Proficiency Section 3 English Language Proficiency within SEP Class Rating Renewal SRG1157 form. My FRTOL licence is valid for lifetime so hope this English sign-off is all that is required.

Once this is all completed, as my SEP is well over the three years on which an examiner can sign-off and I need to convert to an EASA PPL, I will need to send all of my paperwork to the CAA together with their fees.

I presume this will be done via snail mail as the online system is for professional licences only.

1. SRG 1157 (CAA Fee: £89 – Renewal of any private rating)
2. SRG 1119D (Course Completion Certificate)
3. CAA UK PPL to EASA PPL Conversion – SRG1104B Form (CAA Fee: £65 - Conversion from Lifetime UK PPL to EASA PPL)
4. I believe there is Ensure I have my Night and IMC Ratings added to the EASA PPL (IMC will be added as an IR(R)), I believe these will be added in Section 5 of SRG1104B conversion form.
5. UK CAA PPL/Logbook/Photo Identity as per CAA guidance online.

I will then need to wait for, what will seem like an eternity before receiving my licence and hopefully we’ll still have a summer left (I live in Scotland!) where I can enjoy flying once again.

Many thanks in advance.

Richard
By Paul_Sengupta
I would suggest....

1) Fill in a medical self declaration *now*. This can be done on-line.
2) Do the training, get the course completion and do your test. The examiner can then sign off your SEP on your UK PPL for another two years and fill in the necessary forms (including saying you can speak English). Note that after April 8th you won't be able to fly the aeroplane you did your test on after the test, only Annex II! Apart from the test fee, I don't think there's a charge for this.
3) Get a Class II medical (there's debate about whether this is necessary given the latest exemption for self declaration, but I think it is)
4) Apply for an EASA licence on the back of your UK PPL one. I think you can apply on-line. This is the bit with the fee.

As you say, the IMC rating will become an IR(R) but will be on the "back". If you renew it at some point, you'll need to pay the CAA to reissue your EASA licence.

If you want to save that fee, renew the IMC rating before you apply for your EASA licence, but that might take a while!

Oh, and you can still fly in the UK on your FAA licence if you get your FAA medical and BFR, until April next year (current exemption date).
By WelshRichy
Thanks Paul, this is definitely a different way to go about it and haven't looked into the self declaration route at least for the initial part of getting back into the saddle. It is definitely something to think about (but not for too long as you say!). We will need meet up at some point, it has been way too long.

I did think about the getting a BFR and FAA Medical and I will do in future (no convenient FAA AMEs in Scotland anymore, the AME I used before seems to have retired) but for now I would just like to have a method of flying without exemptions for FAA certificates, even though they seem to get extended over and over whilst waiting for a bi-lateral agreement.
By WelshRichy
Actually thinking about it, as my SEP is way over the 3 years then I don't think an examiner can sign my SEP rating and instead it does need to go to the CAA for renewal. I think it used to be 5 years but since EASA its now down to 3 years, I may be wrong though as I'm still getting my head back into CAA/EASA-speak.
By Paul_Sengupta
Every time you comes to Wales I seem to be elsewhere. It's not deliberate! ;-)

For the FAA thing, come to Florida in a couple of weeks! :D

Regarding the medical declaration, it's here:

https://apply.caa.co.uk/CAAPortal/terms-and-conditions.htm?formCode=PMD

If you have your licence number handy, do it now (or in work in the morning! ;-) ).

There's no 3 years/5 years thing as far as I know.
By WelshRichy
Thank you Paul,

I don't know where I saw the requirement for the CAA to update the licence if SEP class rating is expired past three years, but I can't find it now! CAP 804, Section 4, Park K, Subpart 0 Page 8 details:

FCL.1030(b)(2) – Type and Class Rating Renewal Arrangements Where the type rating has been removed from Section XII on page 4 of the licence, the application must be submitted to Personnel Licensing at the CAA for the certificate of revalidation entry by the UK CAA, and a fee will apply.

Where the type rating is included in Section XII on page 4 of the pilot’s licence, the examiner may sign the certificate of revalidation included in the licence.

Following a renewal the examiner is responsible for ensuring that all relevant documentation (ATO certificate or other documental evidence confirming successful completion of training, and application form) is submitted to the UK CAA without delay.

CAA SEP Class Rating Renewal guidance on their website also matches wht CAP804 states:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Applications/Ratings/What-to-do-if-a-rating-expires/

My SEP(land) is still contained in the XII section on Page 4 of my licence (sent out to me in 2010 after I changed my address) so the above seems to suggest the Examiner can sign my SEP Certificate of Revalidation upon a successful SEP renewal test.

I believe I will still need to send in SRG1157 form to the CAA as I need my FRTOL licence updated with English Proficiency (the examiner can sign this off on the same form during the test). I will also have the conversion paperwork to an EASA PPL(A) completed and sent off at the same time.

I have some dual slots in a PA28 (Warrior II) on 22nd April & 24th April at Fife, hopefully be back up to speed soon! Decided to go for the EASA Class 2 but am trying to bring my medical forward a little now as I have the letter from my GP (statement of the control of my asthma) othewise its booked for 23rd April.
By Paul_Sengupta
WelshRichy wrote:I believe I will still need to send in SRG1157 form to the CAA as I need my FRTOL licence updated with English Proficiency (the examiner can sign this off on the same form during the test).

I believe the examiner normally does that. From your own quote:

Following a renewal the examiner is responsible for ensuring that all relevant documentation (ATO certificate or other documental evidence confirming successful completion of training, and application form) is submitted to the UK CAA without delay.

WelshRichy wrote:I will also have the conversion paperwork to an EASA PPL(A) completed and sent off at the same time.

You don't need to do it at the same time, and, I believe, you can do it on-line. Is this correct anyone?

https://apply.caa.co.uk/CAAPortal/terms-and-conditions.htm?formCode=PCO
Examiner can sign up the SEP in your UK PPL and will send off the SRG1157. As of yesterday you can then use this to fly EASA aircraft until June. You must keep a copy of this SRG1157 and submit it along with certified copies of your UK PPL, medical and ID for the conversion (can be done online as scans attachments as Paul says). Good luck and enjoy!
By WelshRichy
EASA Class 2 Medical issued a couple of hours ago (what a relief it is to have my medical in my back pocket!) and I've had a reply from the CAA which confirms the Examiner can sign my SEP Certificate of Revalidation and the forms I need to complete for the English Language and EASA PPL(A) Conversion. Everything falling into place now! Roll on 22nd April and some fine weather for my first Dual sortie.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By WelshRichy
It was really good to be flying once again! Was a little rusty but was comfortable by the end of the flight with upper air work, various PFL's ad slow flight complete.

Flew again on Tuesday, this time in the circuit and was put through my paces, various EFATOs, Standard, Flapless and Glide approaches. Landings were safe but not very graceful, a little more rudder would have resolved most issues but that will come with practice and proficiency.

Off for a little navigation exercise tomorrow at the same time as a mock test, hopefully get signed off for the SEP renewal test for this week as I'm on leave from work.

Really happy to be back in the saddle!

Looks like you had a great time in Florida, Cedar Key is one place on my list that I've never managed... yet.
Paul_Sengupta, kanga liked this