The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There are a fair number of different ways of doing it, so hard to say correct or not.

What aircraft is it? What existing wiring is in place? Is there already a fuse/breaker/ECB system in place?
By cockney steve
I'd be happier to see the fuse directly from the "master" (CB?)
reasoning....protects switch and wiring to the light. If other items are on the "master", provided the addition is fused at the correct value, a fault will isolate it, whilst not compromising anything else on the same "master"
I would guess that your" Earth" would need to run back to a central point. using the airframe as a return, could possibly exacerbate electrolytic corrosion. that's not a good idea.

I am not an Avionics Technician, or Electrician, therefore the above is possibly worth what you paid for it. :wink:
By Ben Twings
I did something similar, but used a Tyco breaker-switch to simplify.

I ran a copper bus strip from the master-out to the avionics, landing, nav and strobe switch in-terminals.
Used screened single conductor wire to the light and grounded it to the ground-bus behind the panel (only ground one end of the screen).
By cockney steve
^^^^^^^^^I thought the trend, today, was conversion to LED lamps. The power requirements are considerably less than that needed to make a bit of (tungsten?) wire glow white-hot in a vacuum or ionising-gas capsule.
Therefore, the current-consumption and therefore wire-size requirements are likely to reduce.