Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
if you wait a few months it might be that your need to do so will evaporate as EASA finally do what they would have done originally if they understood grass roots GA, and would have introduced in the past two years if they had any sympathy for GA pilots, instead of blocking the change in committee pipelines with other changes. The next change will allow you to limit your PPL to flying to LAPL restrictions by using a LAPL medical. At the moment you form-fill and pay, and then have difficulty moving back should you ever want to.
I'm not suggesting you still don't want a LAPL - for example, if you happened to do only 6 hours every year, maybe you do - I'm suggesting the change will be welcomed by many but the delays expose how unsympathetic EASA is to hobby GA. If you'd asked for yet another way to get an I/R it would have been much quicker...
By Cookie
As Irv has highlighted, to move from an EASA PPL to an EASA LAPL is called a licence re-grade which can be obtained using CAA form SRG1190.

However, EASA Opinion 05/2017 is due Q2/2018 which should allow pilots to validate an EASA PPL with a Part-MED LAPL medical and act as PIC within LAPL privileges ... which at present is not permissible.

Agree with Irv - if at all possible -hold on to your PPL and validate with Class 2 medical, and wait for the change in EASA regulation.

Cookie
By flybymike
However, EASA Opinion 05/2017 is due Q2/2018 which should allow pilots to validate an EASA PPL with a Part-MED LAPL medical and act as PIC within LAPL privileges ... which at present is not permissible.

Crikey. Not before time.
By Shoestring Flyer
As I have mentioned in a previous thread I was thinking of getting over this regulation change waiting period by dropping to a Med Dec and using my old CAA PPL Licence until such time as this regulation change happens. But thinking about it maybe I don't even need a Med Dec at all?
On examining my My Class 2 medical which expires in April 2018 I see I my AME has given me a LAPL medical applicable until April 2019.
So...
Can I use this unexpired LAPL medical with an old CAA PPL Licence, UK flying only of course, until the change?

Or for some obscure reason is a LAPL medical not valid with a CAA PPL?
I fly a non-EASA aircraft.
By Shoestring Flyer
Thats great, thanks for that.
Looks like I don't need to do anything after my Class 2 expires in April 2018. I can continue flying on my CAA PPL covered by my LAPL medical, UK only, for a couple of months.
After the reg changes I still won't need need to anything because my EASA licence can then be used with LAPL privileges anywhere in Europe. :D
The Other Ian liked this
By Cottie
Hello Irv,

I was getting slightly confused that you couldn't use a LAPL medical with a EASA PPL, especially when my EASA PPL arrived with the following wording on the front page:

This licence complies with the ICAO standards, except for the LAPL and EIR priviledges.

Which, initially gave me the impression that it covered both PPL and LAPL, your reply has clarified the situation.
By Shoestring Flyer
Cookie wrote: EASA Opinion 05/2017 is due Q2/2018 which should allow pilots to validate an EASA PPL with a Part-MED LAPL medical and act as PIC within LAPL privileges ... which at present is not permissible.

Agree with Irv - if at all possible -hold on to your PPL and validate with Class 2 medical, and wait for the change in EASA regulation.

Cookie

Perhaps Cookie could offer please an update if this is definitely going to happen in Q2 ?
I have now let my Class 2 expire in this expectation and are now flying on my UKCAA PPL with 2nd year of LAPL medical which is restricting me to UK flying.
By Shoestring Flyer
Thanks Cookie for the update...Much appreciated. I didn't know quite where to find it and on reading it looks unlikely to happen in Q2 doesn't it because it was supposed to be adopted by the commision in Q1 prior to implementation in Q2 :cry:
I think this is it, isn't it?:-
FCL.040 Exercise of the privileges of licences
This point was amended to make sure that the medical certificate held only has to comply with the privileges exercised and not with the licence held. This has become necessary because the private pilot licence (PPL) now also includes the privileges for the LAPL.
By KeithM
I just fell upon this topic, having been away from the forum for a long while and having recently posted about other matters!

Many thanks, guys, for that enlightenment as I was considering going down the same route in the future because of (a) much reduced flying hours and (b) a recent four figure sum for the Class 2 medical and subsequent enforced additional post-ECG basic cardiac checks which, for the third time over a ten year period have found no issues and have declared me fit.

I simply cannot, any longer, justify Class 2
medical costs which seem to be creeping ever closer to my annual flying budget!

No ECG due this August, so I now have a further reason to wait and see what transpires!
By MercianMarcus
Anyone know the cost of the re-grade? I can't see any reference to in it in the scheme of charges linked to form the form itself.

Mark