Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just in case you haven't heard, we are very excited that the Goodwood Aero Club will be managed from the Aerodrome, as from 1 January 2018. The new Club Secretary will report to Mark Gibb, our Aviation Operations Manager.

As part of this change we have increased the benefits for Members, which now include free landing fees on Tuesdays, and free landing fees for pre-'66 aircraft at all times (please note that non GAC Members will now have to pay landing fees for pre-'66 aircraft).

We look forward to welcoming you back to Goodwood Aerodrome soon!
please note that non GAC Members will now have to pay landing fees for pre-'66 aircraft)

That is a real shame. I have flown in numerous times in my pre-66 aircraft and bought fuel and have spent a decent amount of cash in the Cafe, whilst soaking up the atmosphere .

( I won't be paying the £275 to join as a member ! )
I somehow think that Lee on Solent will be getting an increase of business ! ( landing there is just £7.50 )
By rats404
Shame about the change to pre 66 aircraft. It was a bit of a draw for me. Mind you, I've had to abort multiple sorties to Goodwood over the last couple of years because the local met or the ground conditions were pants.
With the enormous effort to regrade the aerodrome around the main runway, which included a new drainage system and specially prepared surface, I'd be surprised if
an unuseable bog in winter

will apply.

With my pre-1939 a/c I wonder if there's an OAP (old age plane) discount?
By shuttle
CloudHound wrote:With the enormous effort to regrade the aerodrome around the main runway, which included a new drainage system and specially prepared surface, I'd be surprised if
an unuseable bog in winter

will apply.

This is from a Goodwood tweet from this morning, 7th Dec:

Goodwood isn't an airfield - it's a race track which happens to have a couple of landing strips on the otherwise useless piece of grass in the middle.

It's still a great place, despite the reduced quality of the runways.
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Anything positive to say about it folks? Anything?

I'm not a member of the aero club, but I am a member of one of the other Goodwood clubs and I think Goodwood is a great place. It is obviously run on a commercial basis and is not cheap, but I accept that and I am more than happy with what they offer me.

Am I surprised that on this forum non-members of the Goodwood Aero Club complain about losing a benefit to the paid aero club members?

No.

Am I surprised some are suggesting they will now effectively boycott the place?

Not in the slightest, which is a shame.

Every time I visit the place and walk pass the Bader statue, rather than begrudge whatever I've just paid for lunch, I quietly reflect on the history of the airfield, possibly whilst being treated to a Spitfire arrival or departure, and the success of the estate as a whole now. It could have been so, so different in so many ways.
AndyR liked this
By Waveflyer

I bought the RV there.
It suits the Cub a treat.
I see warbirds fly there.
I meet AndyR there.
Lovely flight from Glos to get there.
Is that positive enough? :D

I love visiting the place, especially when given the opportunity to help with bringing some toys in for the build up of the classic aircraft display for the Revival. :thumleft:

PS Sorry about rubbish quality of the image - I was concentrating more on not infringing airspace or bumping into it than photography at the time...
Expecting Goodwood to be dry and firm at this time of the year is a bit of an ask. The superficial geology is Quaternary sand, clays and gravels. These will tend to be soft at this time of the year. The drainage works should help but they may take a year or so to settle.

It may not be a suitable place for your aircraft or skill at this time of year but that's no reason not to visit when it's a bit firmer.

I went there earlier this year. When we departed we had to hold for a Spitfire to land - that's hardly a hardship.