Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By john ball
I was very dismayed to see my old Robin being wrecked in the latest ‘Grand Tour’ trailer for series two. I loved this aircraft and went all over Europe in it from 82 to 87.
The group was called Dauphin Flying Group at Redhill and they still retained the name until recently at Oaksey Park. Such a waste ! Any one know the story ? See video and very short clip at 1.15 into film
By CloudHound
That looks like wanton vandalism :x

Considering May flies light a/c and Hammond helicopters, I'm surprised and saddened.

Let's hope there is more to this than the short clip and it survives.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As I understand it, after an incident this airframe ended up at the Kemble graveyard.

But... for transport, someone cut off the wings instead of 'disconnecting' the spar from the fuselage, thus rendering it beyond economical repair.

The above could all be heresay... but it was a fairly authoritative source.
By dawdler
Considering May flies light a/c and Hammond helicopters, I'm surprised and saddened.

Nothing much surprises me about the antics of this infantile trio, but I agree that much of their vandalism saddens me. This includes what they did to a well established and interesting motoring program, name Top Gear.
Sooty25, Rob P liked this
By MarkOlding
I have no idea what Robins are worth with a current permit / certificate (£15/£20K ?). However, even with the sort of money Amazon are throwing at the Grand Tour I can't believe they would destroy an airworthy aircraft worth a tidy sum for a 20 second clip.

Well i'm pretty sure.....
By john ball
Steve, glad to see you still have your 221. They are a great aircraft. I still remember our meeting over 30 years ago. I cannot see any AAIB report of an incident. Tell us more ?
By Kemble Pitts
I gave one of the 'last owners' tailwheel diferences training and sign-off on this aeroplane last year.

He told me that the aircraft had a minor prop-strike at a strip near Lambourn a few months ago (not him flying it) and the group voted to let the insurance company have the aeroplane and not buy back the 'wreck' (not a unanimous decision as I understand it).

Being on a C of A the prop-strike was going to bring with it an engine strip (£12k?), a new prop (£2k?), dismantling to get it back to a maintenance base then re-assembling (another £2k?). It also needed an 8.33kHz radio fitted (£4k?) - that lot amounting to something like £20k. Plus it had some other un-defined 'things' that needed doing apparently.

So, not a viable repair on commercial terms but a great project if you had the space and time to do it yourself - until the 'recovery team' cut the wings off.

It was a really nice aeroplane and, in reality, it would have been a pretty safe bet to just put a new prop on it and fly home. Apart from the regulations that is.

Vandalism indeed but there is a certain sad logic to it.
By Peter Gristwood
Kemble Pitts wrote:I gave one of the 'last owners' tailwheel diferences training and sign-off on this aeroplane last year.

He told me that the aircraft had a minor prop-strike at a strip near Lambourn a few months ago (not him flying it) and the group voted to let the insurance company have the aeroplane and not buy back the 'wreck' (not a unanimous decision as I understand it).

Being on a C of A the prop-strike was going to bring with it an engine strip (£12k?), a new prop (£2k?), dismantling to get it back to a maintenance base then re-assembling (another £2k?). It also needed an 8.33kHz radio fitted (£4k?) - that lot amounting to something like £20k. Plus it had some other un-defined 'things' that needed doing apparently.

So, not a viable repair on commercial terms but a great project if you had the space and time to do it yourself - until the 'recovery team' cut the wings off.

It was a really nice aeroplane and, in reality, it would have been a pretty safe bet to just put a new prop on it and fly home. Apart from the regulations that is.

Vandalism indeed but there is a certain sad logic to it.

When G-BUTH had a prop strike some years ago that bill came to £11k. Fortunately the insurers picked up most of the tab and despite her age, she still flies well. Just hoping Clarkson stays well away.
By Peter Gristwood
I understand. There was a discussion about what we should do. But then we hadn't had the wings sawn off.

Our DR 220 in good condition would probably be worth around £25k but an engine would cost about £19k + and a recover around £16k. It doesn't make economic sense to renovate her, but she is a great little aircraft and has served us well. Hopefully we have more years before we have to face the difficult decisions