Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By roweda
neilld wrote:I'm getting this issue with my ASUS Tablet (Android 4.2.2). As above tapping the file gets the 'Open file failed' message. EVFR Basic also does not appear in the list of shared programs in file manager.
However it works OK on my Motorola phone (Android 6.0)

neilld

Unfortunately, some versions of Android do not support the file association to link a GPX file to EasyVFR basic. By using Dropbox as detailed in the tutorial: http://www.pocketfms.com//EasyVFRBasicU ... erTips.asp you can then open a GPX file.

The next release of EasyVFR basic should include a Wifi Flightplan option allowing a colleague with a a full version of EasyVFR to transfer the GPX file to you by WiFi providing you are connected to the same network, e.g. your Flying Club.
I have some gpx files on my laptop, generated by SkyDemon Lite, and transferred them to my mobile running AA by dragging the gpx files to the UKAAImport folder on the mobile. Connection was by a USB cable and the mobile showed as another drive. I'm using a Motorola Moto G phone.
By Aerials
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
roweda, thank you. I now have installed Dropbox but now have another faff of finding out how to use it!
ChrisRowland, thank you for that very helpful tip. I copied the 2 files on the sd card and pasted into the Import folder. They were opened successfully!
I'm probably now going to drop the Dropbox!
I tried AA in the air yesterday and gave up, to the extent of closing it down and starting XCSoar.

The problems were that the vibration messed up the display orientation, causing it to keep switching from portrait to landscape and back, accompanied with several seconds of black screen. Far too distracting.
Also, on a phone, the notification text was too small. Increasing the text size doesn't seem to increase the text box size and if it did there wouldn't be room for a map. I couldn't find a way to lock the screen orientation.

I'm sure it would be better on a tablet, it's probably not really intended for a small smart-phone.

The breadcrumb trail was visible in Google Maps in the phone but I couldn't find the file location so I could transfer it elsewhere.
By Cessna57
ChrisRowland wrote:I tried AA in the air yesterday and gave up, to the extent of closing it down and starting XCSoar.

The problems were that the vibration messed up the display orientation, causing it to keep switching from portrait to landscape and back, accompanied with several seconds of black screen. Far too distracting.
Also, on a phone, the notification text was too small. Increasing the text size doesn't seem to increase the text box size and if it did there wouldn't be room for a map. I couldn't find a way to lock the screen orientation.

I'm sure it would be better on a tablet, it's probably not really intended for a small smart-phone.

The breadcrumb trail was visible in Google Maps in the phone but I couldn't find the file location so I could transfer it elsewhere.

On an iPhone you can lock screen orientation from the little swipe up bar at the bottom. Probably something similar on android ?

Most useful for situations like this. It's in the OS, not the app.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cessna57 wrote:On an iPhone you can lock screen orientation from the little swipe up bar at the bottom. Probably something similar on android ?

Usually down from the top.

Bathman wrote:Did a good job - but I prefer skydemon sorry

Yes, but this one is free...
By roweda
An updated version, V3.3.0 of EasyVFR basic UK has been released today on Android and iOS.

This resolves the missing WiFi Route button and the problem with saving zoom settings.

All devices should update automatically, depending on your settings.
roweda wrote:
Aerials wrote:Hi roweda.
Like BobM a few posts up, I can't load a .gpx file. I have a couple which were generated in another program and saved in a folder on my micro SD card. I don't have any sort of 'Dropbox' that is shown in the tutorial here: http://www.pocketfms.com//EasyVFRBasicU ... erTips.asp
When I click on the file, I get an 'Open file failed' message.
I conclude that the files may somehow be corrupt or incomplete in some way or perhaps I need a Dropbox. Can you offer any other tips to get a file to open please?

Aerials

Unfortunately, it seems like certain variants of Android operating system don't support the file association to allow EasyVFR basic to open a GPX file directly from say, an email. Dropbox can be installed free of charge and will then enable you to open a GPX file as detailed in the tutorial you reference above.

Old thread resurrection :oops:

I'm playing with EasyVFR Basic and the .gpx import via Dropbox on my Android 7.1.1 phone and it consistently fails with messages to the effect that "file content://com.dropbox.android/blah/blah could not be opened". Or the app just crashes. I came across this thread via Google when I discovered I wasn't the only one. "Feedback" submitted via Google though I've no idea where that goes.

Pity, it's a nice app otherwise especially for the price. I've tried it out a bit, but not yet in anger as it were. Hopefully this will get fixed.
By Sooty25
@RichardPearse I've also had that problem. I have had it working though. The problem is something to do with the format of the gpx file.

I found that generating the gpx file on the UKGA webite using a PC, then emailing it to your tablet/phone worked, but every other method of file creation, for example skydemonlight, gives the error. I haven't investigated further as I've not flown far enough since to need a magenta line!
I haven't tried that route. I was doing Sky Demon Light --> Dropbox. I wonder if SDL --> email will also fail; will test this evening.

Why not just use full-fat SD or EasyVFR, people may ask? Well, I fly everywhere at 60kts (70 if I don't worry about fuel) and don't yet do a lot of touring. Maybe that'll change in future but for now I'd be paying a premium for a bunch of undoubtedly good planning software that I wouldn't use. EasyVFR Basic + SDL is potentially a really good combination for us penny-pinching microlighters out on local jaunts.