Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Cessna57
Erm, climb up and put your bum in, then use your hands to hold your feet and lift your legs in one at a time.

I fly a PA28 these days, getting in is easy, getting out usually starts with "roll yourself out onto the wing"

;-)

The early lessons are fantastic cross country flights while learning general stuff, then it all goes a bit "circuits" then you break out cross country again.

Enjoy the flying !
By Jamiers111
So had my 3rd lesson yesterday. Due to low ceiling my instructor said we can either cancel the lesson and reschedule, or go ahead with the lesson but do circuits (something that I won't be starting properly until about 12 hours in I think?). I decided to go ahead with the lesson. I took off and did 3 touch and goes. It was great to get a real feel for how the plane handles. But was aware that it will be something that I will have to recap further down the line anyway. So I was wondering if something like that happened again, is it better to cancel the lesson until the weather is better and I can carry on with the correct lesson?

The short question is, do you think it was a waste of time/money to be doing a circuits lesson despite only having 3 hours in the book?!
By Cessna57
Jamiers111 wrote:So had my 3rd lesson yesterday. Due to low ceiling my instructor said we can either cancel the lesson and reschedule, or go ahead with the lesson but do circuits (something that I won't be starting properly until about 12 hours in I think?). I decided to go ahead with the lesson. I took off and did 3 touch and goes. It was great to get a real feel for how the plane handles. But was aware that it will be something that I will have to recap further down the line anyway. So I was wondering if something like that happened again, is it better to cancel the lesson until the weather is better and I can carry on with the correct lesson?

The short question is, do you think it was a waste of time/money to be doing a circuits lesson despite only having 3 hours in the book?!

It's ALL flying, in my opinion it's never a waste of time or money. Circuits are basically "landings", and you can never do too many of them.

The lessons don't happen in lesson order (I bet you've already done lesson 4, and lesson 1 is just "this is what a plane looks like" iirc.)

If you're learning it's worth it. To be honest till about 18 hours in, sometimes I'd ask to just sit in the aircraft if it wasn't booked out and do touch drills or just look at things.

I have a share in my own aircraft, and I still do this now.

If you enjoy it and you learn something (anything) it's worth it. Sometimes it's worth it just because you enjoy it.
townleyc liked this
By chevvron
I'm occasionally one of the voices of 'Fairoaks Information' and before that I was one of the voices of 'Farnborough Radar'.
All Fairoaks FISOs hold pilots licences of some type from PPL to ATPL; one flies '757s for a living, others fly PC12s, Mustangs and Learjets and another is actually an instructor at FFC; the sole female voice has a PPL(H) so you've got a vast wealth of experience operating the airfield.
Glad to hear from someone at the other end of the radio.
By CapnM
Jamiers111 wrote:The short question is, do you think it was a waste of time/money to be doing a circuits lesson despite only having 3 hours in the book?!

Circuits combine everything you will have learnt in the first 10-15 hours, so giving you a little head start isn't a bad thing :thumright: When it comes to the circuit briefs, you'll realise this as the instructor will break every part of the circuit down.

I would rather be flying than sat on the ground wishing I was, so if there is something we could do with the weather conditions, I would opt to do it.
By Jamiers111
Hi all,

So I thought I’d update the thread regarding my progress, as well as to ask some advice.

I’m 9 hours in now, and all has gone very very well. Just need to pass my air law and I’ll be good to go solo! The flying itself has been great and my FI has been very happy with my progress, but...

I’d like to work on my radio calls and get them nice and sharp. I’m fine with calling to fairoaks information(my home aerodrome). But when it comes to talking to farnborough radar or when flying to another airport, I struggle to remember what need to be said!

Are there any resources online (or anywhere for that matter) that could help me improve? I’ve had a look at CAP 413 but if there is anything a bit more ppl/student pilot orientated then please let me know. I don’t want to be the pilot on the frequency whose every other word is “errrr”

Thanks in advance,

J
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's pretty much the same for a lot of things.

<Callsign> <Type> <From> <To> <Position> <Altitude> <Request>

"Farnborough Radar, G-ADCB Basic Service"
"G-ADCB pass your message"
"G-ADCB is a PA28 from Fairoaks to Popham, currently just to the south of Guildford, 1800ft, request basic service."

Or it could be, let's say for Solent zone crossing:

"G-ADCB is a Cessna 172 from Goodwood to Dunkeswell, two miles north of Havant, 2200ft, request zone transit and basic service."

Note this is all "real world" off the top of my head, so please check the exact phraseology with CAP413. But that structure should do you for most things.
By Grelly
I use my knee board to offload stuff like that. If you know that your flight involves contacting Farnborough Radar, you could write down expected conversations like Paul's examples above.
By Charles Hunt
Time, repetition, fly with others (so you can listen and concentrate on what's being said whilst not having to worry about flying).

And the short mantra is who (and what) are you, where are you (and at what height) and what do you want (basic service (due controller workload))?
By FlightDek
I found YouTube useful for listening to actual ATC. The biggest thing for me was coming to the realisation that the conversations don't have to be word perfect. After watching some videos you'll hear all sorts of thing being said. This just takes the pressure off a bit as getting things in the wrong order is not uncommon.

My FI also gave me a piece of advice - remember that on the other end of the radio is a person who speaks English. If in doubt just speak plain English and don't worry about correct phrases :thumleft:

Try the following on Youtube
The Flying Reporter
Plane Old Ben

Cheers
Dek
By Rob P
Jamiers111 wrote:
Are there any resources online (or anywhere for that matter) that could help me improve?

All you have to remember (An ATCO once told me) is what they want to hear and the order they want to hear it

Who are you?

Where are you?

What do you want?

If you follow this scheme, even if you omit some detail from one of the headings, you'll be most of the way there and the voice at the other end will ask for the missing information if they need it.

Rob P