Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Jamiers111
Hi All!

Have just had my first lesson today with another booked for Thursday (Obviously I'm hooked).
I've just joined the forum too so I thought I'd say hi!

I'm flying out of Fairoaks airport in Surrey, so if any of you guys and gals are local or in a relatively similar stage on your PPL then get in touch!

I'm sure you'll be hearing much more from me if (when) I have any queries.

Jamie :thumleft:
By Melanie Moxon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hello and welcome to the Flyer forums.

Great stuff, keep us updated on your progress.

What aircraft are you training on?

Learning to fly will sometimes be frustrating ultimately though it will be the best thing you ever did :D
Jamiers111 liked this
By johnm
Good for you! Despite the fact that there are lots of miserable old gits on here (have a quick read of my signature) all of us are keen to share experience with newcomers, just make sure you ask your instructor before implementing any advice :D
Jamiers111 liked this
By Jamiers111
Thanks all,

It's between a Cessna 152 or a PA28 warrior. After a chat with my instructor, I decided on the 152. So far I love that thing! I couldn't see any huge benefits from upgrading to the warrior. It would be great to fly but in my opinion not worth the extra money.

If any of you disagree then I'll certainly listen to your argument!
Melanie Moxon liked this
By davelee212
I've done all but 2 hours of my flying in my clubs Robin HR200s which are cheaper to fly per hour than the Cessna 172s and PA28. Given it's going to be you and your instructor (or just yourself soon enough!) then I wouldn't bother paying the extra to fly a bigger aircraft until you've done your PPL. I'd stick with the C152. You can always get checked out on something slightly larger later on (which is what I hope to do in a couple of weeks).

Dave
Jamiers111 liked this
By rachelandrew
Not in Surrey - I'm in Bristol - but also pretty new. Learning in a Cessna 150. 9.8 hours in and go from moments of "get me! I'm flying an aeroplane!" to "I will never be able to do this, I'm obviously a special kind of idiot."

I've just had two lessons of stalls, which was not as alarming as I thought it might be, just kind of weird to be putting the thing into that condition.

Rachel
Whizzchick liked this
By Nick T
Jamiers111 wrote:Thanks all,

It's between a Cessna 152 or a PA28 warrior. After a chat with my instructor, I decided on the 152. So far I love that thing! I couldn't see any huge benefits from upgrading to the warrior. It would be great to fly but in my opinion not worth the extra money.

If any of you disagree then I'll certainly listen to your argument!

I originally started in a Warrior when I began training in 2004, purely because I prefer the look of low wing planes :lol:

When I resumed training last year I did it in the 152, purely for cost reasons.

And when I qualified I did a one hour check flight with the instructor in the Warrior and have been in a PA28 ever since :lol: I just prefer those things.

Moral of the story? When training, you may as well go with the 152 and save the cash :)
By Cessna57
Welcome !

You've had it now. Regardless of how much money you have/had you'll now spend it all on flying.

The size of your budget just decides the size of your aircraft or the hours you fly.

Just ask John Travolta.

You're doomed.

(It's amazing though)
By buzzthetower
I'm Surrey based, nearest airfield to home is Fairoaks but I fly from Wycombe Airpark where my plane is based. Work across the hedge from Fairoaks though in MTC so no doubt will see you in the circuit from the window. Have fun!
By Jamiers111
Having a great time so far! Only two lessons in but I'm absolutely loving it. If anyone has a good method for entering/exiting a C152 with dignity, I would be grateful if you share your wisdom with me!