Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Strange, I got one a few weeks ago and it's running v3.00 according to the About page on it. Not seen that anywhere.

Bloody time-travellers, they're all over the place.
cockney steve wrote:
Strange, I got one a few weeks ago and it's running v3.00 according to the About page on it. Not seen that anywhere.

Bloody time-travellers, they're all over the place.

I got my FTA-750L, for £272, but that was in Sept 2015!
Time travel, it's the future. :D
By rf3flyer
Cessna to the sky! wrote:I got my FTA-750L, for £272, but that was in Sept 2015!

No, sorry to disappoint but you've completely misunderstood. That's time passing and is the normal state of affairs.
By rf3flyer
rf3flyer wrote:
tomshep wrote:VOR and ILS.

That's the 750. My 550 doesn't have VOR orILS, so not that.

See, that's the problem with deeply buried menu items. Someone with zero interest (me) in using a VOR or an ILS on a handheld radio just fails to dig deep enough to discover this feature. Seemingly I can set up a 'split frequency' for the navaid and upon picking up the signal the radio will automatically display the appropriate screen. It does however make the manual less absurd than I had previously taken it to be.
In light of that discovery had it been available at the time the 450 would have been my buy. KISS.
By Paul_Sengupta
Depends on how you want to use it and if you want the rechargeable battery. From US prices, the 450L is cheaper than the 550L, with their rechargeable batteries, but the AA version of the 550 is cheaper than the 450L. I guess there will be an AA version of the 450 (without the L) at some point which will be cheaper again.
By neilmurg
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I guess there will be an AA version of the 450 (without the L) at some point
I got the 750L, it came with the back for the AA version, a car charger, mains charging cradle and the cable for a GA headset. The Yaesu website doesn't say the same for the 550 and 450.
I still have a spare SCU-15...
Is there any reason to put in the GPS co-ordinates of the frequencies saved? And is there a database with that data already set up that I could copy into the YCE01 frequency update program (please?)
I have a data file of 73 local frequencies for me, at EGLK, including VORs if anyone wants a head start.
By Crash one
rf3flyer wrote:
Cessna to the sky! wrote:I got my FTA-750L, for £272, but that was in Sept 2015!

No, sorry to disappoint but you've completely misunderstood. That's time passing and is the normal state of affairs.

Not if he went back to 2015 yesterday!
By Ridders
neilmurg wrote:I got the 750L, it came with the back for the AA version, a car charger, mains charging cradle and the cable for a GA headset. The Yaesu website doesn't say the same for the 550 and 450.
My 550 purchased in the US at Sun and Fun from Sporties (special show offer price - and before the $ rate went 'orrible :D ) came with the battery tray, 12V Power cable, Antenna, Belt clip, headset adapter, and the USB programming cable.
neilmurg liked this
Crash one wrote:
rf3flyer wrote:

Not if he went back to 2015 yesterday!

Just got back from tomorrow, weather is good :wink:
By Crash one
neilmurg wrote:If anyone needs a SCU-15, I have one surplus to requirements

If you've still got it I'm having bother with the intercom and could do with one.
By Crash one
neilmurg wrote:
Crash one wrote:If you've still got it I'm having bother with the intercom and could do with one.
You have a PM

PM sent.