Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By tomshep
My solution was to buy a 4 pole jack and plug. (There you go, you knew that the jack was actually the socket now, didn't you?) These I wired together with stiff wire. A fine tipped soldering iron is a must! I wired a standard three pole jack into the PTT circuit to plug the stick button wiring into then made a simple mould in blu tak which took a couple of minutes.
half a teaspoonful of five minute epoxy to seal and solidify the bits and it plugs straight into the radio and the aeroplane. The headset adaptor plugs into it and it all works fine.
As for the firmware update, I am happy with the set as it is and unless it adds weather radar, a hundred horsepower or aerobatic capabilty to the airframe (and pilot!), I find it difficult to see how it could be improved upon, seeing as it isn't in the least buggy now. I'm inclined to leave well alone but if anybody does get these improvements, would they please let me know?
By segillum
>Have any FTA-750L owners updated to the latest firmware from 204 to 206?<

Yes, but they don't provide a version history or changelog and it hasn't made any obvious difference to mine.
segillum wrote:>Have any FTA-750L owners updated to the latest firmware from 204 to 206?<

Yes, but they don't provide a version history or changelog and it hasn't made any obvious difference to mine.

Thank you, I could not find any info on the 206 version either. Mr Google has no info.
By rjc101
Strange, I got one a few weeks ago and it's running v3.00 according to the About page on it. Not seen that anywhere.

** edit ** Mine is a FTA750L, so that might be the difference, but I thought they had a common codebase.
By rf3flyer
Looking at the photo of the 450 on the Yaesu webpage I cannot see how it differs from the 550. It appears to have the same menu options as the 550, so what does it not have?
By jaycee58
I updated to my 750 to 2.06 today and it all went without a hitch. As others have mentioned, there's no obvious difference but I forgot to check one thing. In the configuration menu (or it could be the Comm menu, not sure) there was a bug whereby if you scrolled to the bottom of the menu and then back up and selected an option it would actually go to the option above it. I'll try to remember to check this tomorrow.
By segillum
>Strange, I got one a few weeks ago and it's running v3.00 according to the About page on it. Not seen that anywhere.<

Interesting -- the web page still shows 2.06 as the most recent version.
By tomshep
From the Yaesu website:
"The YAESU FTA-550 is packed with features, yet very affordable. Boasting an oversize full dot matrix LCD display, the FTA-550 Airband Transceiver provides full communication on the Aircraft communications Band and additionally provides VOR and ILS navigation features on the "NAV" band"

"VOR Navigation Display
When the FTA-550 receives a VOR signal, the display will automatically switch to the NAV band screen which shows a CDI based on the received signal."