The place for technical discussions about GA and flying.
Forum rules: Technical discussions about GA only, please.
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
rf3flyer wrote:Unless you really want to build it from bits there is very nearly nothing in it price wise. The other day I ran through PilotAware's 'Known Good Hardware' list and found that the parts would cost about £15 less than the cost of the complete unit, a difference that would probably be eroded somewhat by postage on some of the ebay items.

You can tell from this that I have been thinking about PAW but my problem is panel space. I have none to spare. I could mount the box somewhere out of sight but the display is my problem. Rather liking the simplicity of the FLARM Butterfly display I had thought of running only the Radar screen on a small device, an iPod touch for example, that I would ideally mount right at the top of the panel pretty much where a gunsight would go. The snag I discovered yesterday is that the iPod puts a hefty swing into the compass directly below. Anywhere else on the panel and something more fundamental gets obscured.

You'll say there are voice alerts, and I know, but as one who hates gabby cars, nagging checkouts and the rest, I don't think they'd work for me. Also I don't know how I'd wire that in. I think the PAW instructions talk about wiring into an intercom. Single seat, no intercom. :?:

Fortunately I don't live in the 'target rich' south, so I'm not too desperate for traffic alerts but I though it might be nice to catch up a little.

Take a look at the V3+M display. Small and bright LEDs brightness can be adjusted or automatic.

Nick.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Ian Melville wrote:
P3i PAW protocol in and out, yes.

If you think the last one is just a nice option, then go buy something else. Until a significant number of gliders and GA aircraft can do ADSB ES, it's your best option to see other traffic.

Not all of us fly in the UK (only) and PAW has nowhere near the saturation FLARM has; they claim 75000 units sold.

For the same reasons using the OGN ground based FLARM solution is not viable.
By Dave W
Which as why, as G-BLEW keeps telling us, the long term answer for GA is ADS-B.

But that won't happen overnight, if at all for all airspace users, so other affordable proprietary systems are a useful interim solution; even more so if they can report other proprietary transmitters seamlessly.
T67M liked this
By ChampChump
Mine, when ready, will form the fifth Paw of a willing bear. Well, carried as a backpack, actually.

Photo coming in due course.

Sorry, carry on tech talking.

:wink:
Have you bought a FLARM then? If that's your main requirement then clearly PAW isn't going to work for you so I assume you've spent the several hundred pounds or more on a unit already?

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Sadly from the information provided PAW won't be that interim solution for me as it does not provide FLARM.
By Flyin'Dutch'
karlbown wrote:Have you bought a FLARM then? If that's your main requirement then clearly PAW isn't going to work for you so I assume you've spent the several hundred pounds or more on a unit already?

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Sadly from the information provided PAW won't be that interim solution for me as it does not provide FLARM.

No I don't have FLARM otherwise the PAW would be a cost effective extension closing the gap.

But for those people who fly in areas where a lot of others have FLARM buying something which does not have FLARM in and out is creating a gap not resolving one.
rf3flyer wrote:... , that I would ideally mount right at the top of the panel pretty much where a gunsight would go.

My thoughts are the same, I have SD and will have SkyView in the aircraft so there are plenty of display options but I wanted something small to indicate where I should be looking (currently it is just the closest target, later I will look at the highest threat target)
Note that I haven't got a PAW unit yet (or a flying aircraft) but along side building the aircraft I'm working on a minimal PAW display for when the aircraft is done and I have a PAW unit installed.

I tried mock up while waiting for my latest kit to turn up and I think it might work (there's still a lot of 'if's' to be solved first though, screen size, glare, reliability,, interference etc). I'm currently waiting on a factory in Hong Kong to make up some circuit boards for me so I probably wont be doing much more playing with it for another month or so at least, but I don't expect to have anything really usable until later this year or next as I have no way of testing it.
I'm calling it the MTA, as in 'Mini Traffic Aware' :D

Unit so far to give an idea of what I'm looking to eventually do

Screen display explained
Not sure you'd be worse off than having nothing, but it might not be worth the money for you. I'm satisfied that PAW gives me ADS-B in and P3I in/out for £200. And it wouldn't surprise me if it gets expanded as development continues.

Personally I'd be happy if there was a £200 ADS-B portable in and out solution and everybody had it. But FLARM is pretty expensive in comparison to PAW and, like P3I, an interim solution
T67M, Paul_Sengupta liked this
I had been putting mine on the coaming, however on hot/bright days I've had the connection drop out, in such a way that I assume something (wifi dongle, gps, pi or battery pack) has been overheating due to the sunlight.

I'm going to start keeping the pi and power pack in a side pocket (out of direct sunlight), probably get the low profile antenna for the P3i transmissions (http://pilotawarehardware.com/product/d ... t-antenna/), and then a USB extension and suction mount thing so I can put the gps dongle where it can see the sky. I'll try and post some pictures once it's done...
By GrahamB
Mine has sat on the coaming of the AA5 for the last year without any overheating issues, although it does get bloomin' hot. I've ordered a white Pi case from eBay as a precautionary measure!

I did start having problems receiving Mode S and ADSB after a month or so, but that was traced to a faulty dongle, which the hardware guys replaced by return.

Wifi stability problems can be due to a poor power supply or cable, or the wifi signal being set too high - which is why Lee introduced the ability to adjust the signal strength.
By Ridders
alexbrett2 wrote:I had been putting mine on the coaming, however on hot/bright days I've had the connection drop out, in such a way that I assume something (wifi dongle, gps, pi or battery pack) has been overheating due to the sunlight.

I'm going to start keeping the pi and power pack in a side pocket (out of direct sunlight), probably get the low profile antenna for the P3i transmissions (http://pilotawarehardware.com/product/d ... t-antenna/), and then a USB extension and suction mount thing so I can put the gps dongle where it can see the sky. I'll try and post some pictures once it's done...
Thought mine was subject to temperature but after another trip where it kept rebooting, I took it apart and discovered the two boards had separated and the aware board was just resting on the connector. Pushed it home and inserted a bit of folded plastic above it so the lid holds the board in place. Suggest you check yours, it's only 4 screws and may reveal a similar unseated board.
By T67M
I've mounted an SMA ADS-B aerial on my PilotAware alongside the P3I aerial, and I've replaced the plug-in USB power lead with a soldered one to improve the reliability of the connection. The whole unit is then mounted behind the seats in my Firefly with the aerials just below the canopy and the GPS dongle velcro'd to the canopy rail. Power and audio input fitted nearby during the recent panel refurbishment, so no dangling leads, and still opportunities to make it even tidier in the future. So far, 100% reliable

karlbown liked this