Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Josh
There was a Biggles story I read in my youth that had the noise made by dropping glass bottles from altitude as a major plot point. They apparently whistled in the same manner as when blown across but at a much greater volume.

Has anyone got any "friends" who have done this for real and can report if they really do make a huge racket?
By tomshep
No. We are expressly forbidden from doing so. Getting whacked on the bonce by a bottle that has spent the last 2000 feet in a vertical dive will spoil your relatives' day. The noise would probably be quite loud. To find out, drop a few from a tower block. You will probably get into trouble, but less than we would were we to try it. :roll:
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Josh is going to end up in the RHS of G-ERTI*; remember where you heard it first. :lol:

*No, not that one. The other one.
Last edited by Dave W on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChampChump liked this
By chevvron
Josh wrote:There was a Biggles story I read in my youth that had the noise made by dropping glass bottles from altitude as a major plot point. They apparently whistled in the same manner as when blown across but at a much greater volume.

Has anyone got any "friends" who have done this for real and can report if they really do make a huge racket?

Can you afford the subsequent fine? Ejecting anything from an aircraft in flight apart from persons in emergency requires prior permission from the CAA. (Yes even balloons, flour bags and parachutists)
I shall be reporting this 'Biggles' character :twisted:
By flyingeeza
Josh wrote:There was a Biggles story I read in my youth that had the noise made by dropping glass bottles from altitude as a major plot point. They apparently whistled in the same manner as when blown across but at a much greater volume.

Sort of...
This clip from 37 years ago, you know, before CGI?
How times have changed...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njvmSCG1qes
By Gertie
chevvron wrote:Ejecting anything from an aircraft in flight apart from persons in emergency requires prior permission from the CAA.

Hmm. So if one's dodgy Android phone on which one is running various toys spontaneously combusts, hardly impossible given the state of modern battery technology, one is supposed to deal with this by means other than throwing it out of the window?

I'd rather be alive to argue with the CAA afterwards.