Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Mike Tango wrote:
map5623 wrote:
neaton wrote:I assume they wrote it to have it used

So other than an execise in producing another 'I' app and something to discuss sat in the caf or bar, what actual use is it?

It's use is to raise awareness of what's going on in the sky and educate interested members of the general public.

And equally important, to give PPLs who miss the point of what it was designed for and not designed for the opportunity to whinge on forums.

What was it designed for?
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
map5623 wrote:What was it designed for?

Mike answered this in the post you quoted!

Mike Tango wrote:It's use is to raise awareness of what's going on in the sky and educate interested members of the general public.

Not to mention brand awareness of NATS etc.

Here is a blog post on some of its features: http://nats.aero/blog/2017/04/six-thing ... cking-app/
Tony Y. wrote:G-DIXY (an Archer) tracked ....

And he was allegedly at 23,000ft :shock:

But it's fine now as passing Duxford he's descended to a far more believable 19,700ft and 98kts.

Rob P
Lefty wrote:Why would they bother?? (...to port it to Android...)

Well they would open the app up to 4 times more users if they targeted Android devices.... that's a pretty good reason :wink:
Lefty wrote:...they would have to support 1000's of combinations of Android h/w and operating system combinations.

No they wouldn't. Android apps are typically developed on top of the JVM (Java Virtual Machine), which abstracts the hardware layer. The easiest way to deal with OS compatibility issues is easy.... specify a minimum supported Android version, much the same way that iOS apps likely work (eg "only supports version X.y and later...")

But it sounds like this app is a distribution of a scaled down version of an existing tool, rather than a bespoke piece of development for mass consumption
ianfallon liked this
2Donkeys wrote:Its a fun app and the graphics are pretty

That just about sums it up.... it's not an app for pilots as such. It's an app for anyone.

If you click on an airport, you can see the routings off all incoming and outgoing aircraft. (Works best for a busy airport at a busy time)
Two things struck me about this app. No Mode A/C or non-transponder targets, and very slow on my older iPad mini. I am unable to play the help videos (my problem I suppose).

Why does NATS have less confidence in ADSB fixes than Radar returns? My experience, backed up by what I see in this app is the opposite. Just watch an aircraft fly a GA type circuit :?
PaulB wrote:
2Donkeys wrote: it's not an app for pilots as such.

Maybe that sums it up,
Shame they could not spend the time and money on producing something for pilots that would reduce the likelyhood of airmisses or collisions.
Oh, I was forgetting they are only really interested in CAT safety and amassing/publishing infringements data.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
What on earth are you going on about? A tool that relies on high quality continuous internet access will never be useful in the air.

Airspace Explorer is... and I'm sure no-one at NATS will be offended by this, and if they are, it is not my intent... a PR toy.

It's a cool and very pretty promotional gadget that demonstrates how busy NATS are, and teaches the general public a little bit about airspace and what NATS do.

It is not an advanced tool for pilots to use and was never intended to be. It goes with their pretty airspace visualisation videos (you'll be claiming they are no use next...), and their public facing blog.

As has already been said a number of times on this thread - it's not aimed at us.
JonathanB, PaulB, Talkdownman and 2 others liked this
Oh, Tim, you've been here long enough to know that we can (and do) argue that black is white about any subject known to mankind.

:lol: :lol: