Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rf3flyer
Crash one, I'm single seat so don't have an intercom, which may or may not make a difference. Sigtronics have a circuit diagram online for the FTA-550 but again it's working through an intercom. As mentioned before, it is the additional bits of electronics that were in my old Delcom PTT that makes me cautious about assuming a PTT is simply make/break. Maybe it is but I'd hate to fry a new radio if I got it wrong.
By Crash one
rf3 .
There are no electronics in the Yaesu headset adaptor, there are none in the aftermarket PTT switch either, I pulled mine to bits to have a look and broke the plastic switch in the process!
That setup worked fine without frying anything, but as you say, sitting in a pile of spaghetti is a pain.
I would think a pair of "open" sockets on the panel or somewhere convenient would work, replacing the flying lead adaptor, and using well shielded cable, with a make/break switch on the stick, then hide the wire to the stick around the cockpit.
I'm using the original stick switch wiring that went to the "open" mic socket for the original Dittel radio.
I'm going to phone Danny at Harry Mendellson in the morning and ask how he wired up mine, electronics or not?
By rf3flyer
Crash one, many thanks for your reply but I hope you did not break your plastic switch in response to my posts here. :shock: If you did I apologise and owe you.

Speaking to a supplier like Harry Mendelsson on how to do this would probably have been the sensible thing to do and I will certainly discuss the matter with them when I order. I was just trying to get an understanding of how these things worked from the crowd wisdom on this forum. So unless you have a need to call HM yourself, leave it to me and I'll talk to them myself.

Thanks again.
By seanxair
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'd be interested in the result of this too. I have a FTA550L running via a Microavionics interface to headset and PTT but may remove the interface if I can have a stick mounted PTT directly to the radio.
By Crash one
Good morning guys.
I've just spoken to the Men Who Know and it seems there are no electronics involved, there used to be a different system years ago apparently that did have some interface thing but this is no longer standard.
A simple make /break in the ground wire from the mic socket to the Yaesu plug would work. As you say, speak to them yourself to confirm, I'd hate to be responsible for blowing up your handset :oops:
No I didn't break mine just to find out, that was two years ago :thumleft:
The reason I wanted to confirm this is to wire up a second PTT to the right seat since it has never had one.
By rf3flyer
I have had the loan of a friend's LTA-550 for a few days for evaluation and am impressed enough that I will probably own one quite soon. Unfortunately the one accessory not loaned is the headset adaptor, the SCU-15, but in any case I would not want to experiment with equipment not my own.

I have come across this diagram of the SCU-15, purportedly from Yaesu. The second image is a screenshot from the manual which states PPT pressed: Ground.
So to those more familiar with such things am I correct in understanding that the PTT switch when pressed should make connection between the PTT contact and the Ground sleeve of the 4 pole jack?
By Troxx
I'm a paraglider pilot, and I have FTA-750L and Sena SR10... (a way to connect VHF radio to my Bluethoot headset SMH10R).
Problem is that Sena and Yaesu don't have an adapter.. but they have adapter for VX-300 (including most of other VX-series FM handheld) and this also fits FT-250R.. They both say it is not compatible, but they might not know... So could there be problems trying this adapter?
I seems that tip of jack is Speaker_out, is the rest of the 3,5mm jack correct?
By rf3flyer
@ Troxx, the Yaesu 4 pole jack connections are shown in the attachments to my post #1527607.

To anyone else interested I can state that the breakout to a PTT switch from the microphone wire of the Yaesu headset adaptor works just fine. My revised version of the SCU-15 schematic below.
How you go about that is your business but having fabricated my own from scratch I know it works and this afternoon got readability 5 from the nearest airport at 13nm and from a nearby MATZ at 20nm.
seanxair, Troxx liked this
By Clive Richards
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If you just wish to buy a adapter to plug into the FTA550L adapter cable mic socket see Transair Pilot PA 50 PTT Sw cat 1237 this looks to me it will do what you want ie gives you a mic socket to plug into and a ptt push button.
Clive
By tomshep
Yazoo are definitely on the ball. There is a new FTA450 basic radio now available which I expect will suit many and be even better value for money. That is responding to a market demand with panache. If it is at a price that makes it a good move to retire an old Icom then comms will benefit overall due to good new kit and clearer messages.