For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Thumper
Does anyone else here get rankled by sellers who add that crass phrase

'first to see buy'

It drives me up the wall!! It actually puts me off viewing their offerings as it suggests to me someone who probably can't tell if something is wrong with what they are selling!
By GolfHotel
Thumper wrote:Does anyone else here get rankled by sellers who add that crass phrase

'first to see buy'

It drives me up the wall!! It actually puts me off viewing their offerings as it suggests to me someone who probably can't tell if something is wrong with what they are selling!

Being the cynical git that I am I rather assume they can tell what is wrong and are quite happy to sell it knowing full well.
By Rob P
The word "advert"

Advertisement = good

Ad = good

Advert = Nooooooo!
By Rob P
Industry thing.

In the business it would be seen as very amateur to ever use it. It would be a bit like hearing a pilot say

"I'm just off to loop the loop"

Rob P
karlbown liked this
By Rob P
To advert???

:scratch:

That's a new one. :shock:
Thumper liked this
By kanga
Rob P wrote:To advert???

:scratch:

That's a new one. :shock:

'advert: (with to) to turn one's attention; to refer' (Chambers, 11th ed, 2008)

eg

"I beg to advert my distinguished fellow-Forumite to the entry of 'advert' in Chambers"

it yields derived forms 'advertent(ly), advertence, advertency', more commonly seen in their negatives, eg 'inadvertent'
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Magic! I have learned something that may (or may not) come in handy one day.

Thank you :thumleft:

Rob P
kanga liked this
By nkt2000
Having studied marketing at Masters level, I am very cynical regarding adverts. I just don't understand why the general public are so gullible. My wife hates watching the adverts on TV, mainly because I can't resist picking them to bits.
By GolfHotel
nkt2000 wrote:Having studied marketing at Masters level, I am very cynical regarding adverts. I just don't understand why the general public are so gullible. My wife hates watching the adverts on TV, mainly because I can't resist picking them to bits.

Well that's me convinced. A masters is well worth doing for the insight it gives that simply isn't available to the common man.

Unfortunately it seems to lack in giving understanding that actually the wife hates watching adverts with her husband.